cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 box looses all saved recording when power cord is pulled

deantiller
Tuning in

This has now happened several times. The last time just now. Tried to play a on demand program, it would not play and came back with an error so I pulled power cord to reboot and waited for box to load after loading all saved programs were no longer available. As mentioned this has happened several times now each time by the power being lost, be it pulling power cord or power cut etc. I do not understand how the recordings can be lost. The programs must be being saved to a local hard drive. The V6 box was much better in comparison. I’m left with no other choice than to spend time searching for all the lost recordings and setting them up again now.  

25 REPLIES 25

Tried calling virgin support on hold for 20 mins. No one answering. Service page on website has “Sorry You’ve caught us at work” and not working… Can my issues be fixed via this method. You mentioned a provisioning issue with the box can it be reprovisioned? 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies deantiller,

I'm going to send one now to go through some further checks.

Thanks,

Kain

Hi recording we’re ok when i tested rebooting the 360 box a few time but from today all recording are lost after reboot. I had to reboot because I am unable to play any on demand content I get the error CS2318. So tried rebooting to fix the error. After reboot error still persists on any on demand content and now all my recordings have been deleted again. Tried calling support on hold for 18mins then system hung up on me. 
The 360 box is truly awful. I need either a replacement 360 box or to change to the TiVo box how do I go about this. 

Hi, I'm having very similar problems with my 360 box, I have also lost recordings several times, either when switching the box off after it has frozen or sometimes when doing a factory reset with recordings (supposedly) preserved. I am also getting extremely tired of having to re-enter all my app sign-ins after a power off or reset.
I have also had other issues with the box - the guide losing it's icons and substituting text, screen going blank, but audio remaining, usually in the first few minutes after switching on, the box freezing when navigating the guide, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a minute or maybe permanently (until power cycling - which may or may not lose all recordings and app sign ins. The blank screen issue is usually solved by switching the box off and back on, but it is annoying and not something I should have to do.
 I believe that your issue is a faulty box as is mine, but as you say, it's nigh on impossible to talk to customer services, I don't really want to waste my life waiting to get through to Virgin, only for someone to run through a scripted menu telling me to do all the things I've already tried again and then telling me to see how it goes, after which I will have to go through the same ritual again in order to get the faulty box replaced at some stage.

Yeah sounds like we have the exact same issue(s). The box isn’t fit for purpose. And we have to spend countless hours troubleshooting speaking to people who run through scripts that have nothing to do with the actual issue. The previous TiVo box worked fine for me. I would happily go back to that. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jp258 

regarding "the box freezing when navigating the guide, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a minute"

When that happens I shake my remote and it starts responding again.

Error CS2318 says call in so VM can send a signal, I don't believe that will help.

@jp258 and @deantiller 

The Guide losing icons and substituting text would appear to be an internet connection issue, I would imagine if you looked at the Box Sets & Movies section there would be a good number of items without the graphic showing.

The other issues may be caused by faulty ports on the 360, a faulty hard drive, or signal issues.

Under Settings > Network> Diagnostics the top section shows the signal quality to the various boxes, I would imagine when   you are having problems there would be crosses against some of the icons there. And scrolling further down the screen and looking at Connection speed I would image that instead of showing High or Good it would have a cross against either Live TV (HD) Wathc All (HD) or Watch All (UHD) there would be at least one cross.

I beleive you both need a tech visit to check connections and possibly change the 360.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi. Under Network Diagnostic settings I have a green tick on Live (HD), Watch All (HD) and Watch All (Ultra HD)

this happens on both wired and wireless. The wired connection is plugged directly into the Virgin Hub. 

Virgin people, how do I go about getting an engineer visit scheduled?

Thanks 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

@deantiller

I am going to send you a private message to confirm some details 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I'm having the same problem with my tv360 box - every time we have a power cut we lose all saved programs - its extremely annoying and makes the box useless!

Hi @gembas15

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your set top box losing it's recordings. Do you have the same issues where the apps are also losing the log in details or are your recordings the only affected? 

Does this happen when you switched the box off completely, switched into stand by mode or just when the set top box loses power suddenly due to power cuts?

Just to confirm if you navigate to Saved>Recordings>See All>Manage Storage > enter your PIN and change the option for ‘Auto delete when space needed’ to ‘Off’. Does this stop your recordings from deleting?

If you want auto delete ‘On’ but wants to protect certain recordings or series from being deleted then follow the steps below:

Select the recording/series from the ‘See All Recordings’ menu and select the ‘pencil’ icon to the right hand side of the recording > Next select the option ‘Protect from auto-delete’. 

Let me know if any of these steps help at all. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley