cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 360 box and coax cable

Nabby58
Tuning in

Can anyone advise if you still need to connect coax cable to 360 box or if this has changed?

I have just agreed a new contract with Virgin.  I already has virgin broadband but sky tv.  I have cancelled sky and included virgin tv.  I was told I would receive a 360 box which arrived at the weekend.  When sorting this I told the advisor I only had a single coax cable coming from the box on the wall and going into the hub and asked if I would need a splitter or something for a feed into the tv box.  He sounded surprised and said no I would connect the hub and box with an ethernet cable.

All of the set up instructions indicate a coax into the tv box is required and I also did some searching online which indicated the same.  I called Virgin again at the weekend and explained this to the man I spoke to.  After putting me on hold he came back and said he had ordered me an ethernet cable.  I explained again that it was the coax connection I was enquiring about and already had an ethernet cable.  He also sounded surprised and said I should connect with the ethernet and gave the impression that the set up guide is out of date and was apologetic.

After looking online and coming onto this forum as far as I can see I definitely need a coax connection to get live tv and this may involve having to have an engineer out (at cost ) to set up.  Can any nice person or a moderator advise if this is still definitely the case before I ring Virgin yet again and probably get fobbed off yet again.  I obviously do not want to try to set everything up if I do not have all equipment/leads in place.  

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Nabby58 

I can confirm that you need to connect all VM Set top boxes (TIVO, V6 and 360 boxes) via coaxial 

They need the coaxial connection to transmit live TV.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

Im shocked that neither advisor you spoke to knew how to connect their own device. How can anyone in VM's help desk not know how their equipment connects, this is basic knowledge.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Second boxes cannot be self-installed. They must be installed by a tech so are included as standard & should show up as part of the installation/activation charges. This is no doubt offshore “telling you what you want to hear” rather than what you need to hear. They are just booking an install, not looking at what that install intails.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nabby58 wrote:

After looking online and coming onto this forum as far as I can see I definitely need a coax connection to get live tv and this may involve having to have an engineer out (at cost ) to set up.  Can any nice person or a moderator advise if this is still definitely the case before I ring Virgin yet again and probably get fobbed off yet again.  I obviously do not want to try to set everything up if I do not have all equipment/leads in place.  

Thanks.

If you're adding TV to Virgin Fibre and you're happy to have it in the same room, then the delivery you get should have included all the appropriate coax cabling to add TV to your existing service.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nabby58,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with installing some new equipment.

As I can see a few members of our community have advised, you would need to connect the equipment via a coax cable and it should've been provided within the delivery of the new equipment if you didn't have an engineer come to install it for you.

Have you managed to speak with the team since your last post about this? Let us know if you still need some help and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

If you received everything (splitter, two lengths of coaxial cable, an IEC connector cable and an Ethernet cable) with the 360 this is how you hook everything up. Disconnect the cable from the hub and connect it to the splitter. Connect the hub to the splitter and the 360 to the splitter via the IEC connector. Connect the 360 to the hub with the Ethernet cable.

|                      
|                      |---coaxial---hub---Ethernet cable
|                      |                    |
|---coaxial---splitter-|                    |
|                      |---coaxial---IEC---TV box
|

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sorry has been a while since I posted.  On my third call to Virgin I yet again spoke to someone in a call centre who just did not understand what I was asking for.  I became quite frustrated with him in the end and he did book an engineer visit for me.

The engineer was brilliant - said straight away I needed a splitter, fitted it, tested, checked everything at local roadside box, linked box to tv, set up controller and ran through everything with me.  He said I should receive an email to give his visit a rating and did not which is a shame.  He stated that they have a lot of problems with customer service staff not understanding the customers needs.

So to recap - on initially negotiating new contract I explained my set up and said I thought I needed a splitter - was told no.  On arrival of kit I telephoned and explained I needed a splitter as I did not have coax connection to plug into box.  I was sent an ethernet cable.  On my third try he just did not seem to understand me and after putting me on hold many times he booked engineer visit.  Why are the customer service agents so inept?

Following all these my initial bill is now wrong - they are charging me more than previous contract rather than less, ie. have not applied discount shown on contract - will post on this under appropriate heading,  

Hi Nabby58, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with connecting your TV 360 and monthly package price.  I would like to take a closer look on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Nabby58

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R