cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing HDR sources via Netflix and Amazon apps via TV 360 box

daedlo
Tuning in

I am a newcomer to Virgin Media so cannot compare what I get now with what I got in the past.

The issue I have noticed is that, when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime programming which has HDR content through my TV 360 box, the settings on my TV [Samsung QE55Q9FN] do not automatically switch to HDR mode. The Picture settings alter to something which approximates to HDR but the Mode is left on Movie. I, therefore, sometimes end up watching a VERY dark screen.

If I watch the same programming via the in-built TV apps then HDR is automatically set and I can watch with no problem.

Would anybody know if the TV 360 box is supposed to automatically switch to HDR mode and if so how to you enable this switching?

10 REPLIES 10

Deano792
Tuning in

HDR switch works fine on my 360 box, unsure what it could be, have you gone into the settings to make sure the resolution is set okay?

Maybe it's a HDMI handshake issue or HDMI cable issue where it needs to be a higher bandwidth one?

Thanks for the reply.

Resolution is set as AUTO. I have no cause for suspecting HDMI cable as I can watch 4K content ok without HDR being used.

What settings do you have on your box? Do you have a Samsung TV? Any info from your end would be most welcome.

I have a Samsung tv UE49KS7000 series, I have HDR+ enabled on all 4 hdmi ports via the tv settings and I have the virgin box set on 4K and have no problems 

I have a Samsung QLED Television. When watching HDR, my Picture Mode is still how set it (Movie) but the actual picture settings are definitely HDR.

If you press the Info Button on your TV Remote, a banner will appear on the top of your TV screen which will tell you whether or not you are watching a HDR programme. So there is nothing wrong with your box.

hdr works perfectly on my lg cx oled using the auto settings

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @daedlo 

Apologies for the picture issues. We're currently investigating this issue, and I was hoping you might be able to share some information with me to help with the investigation.

We'd like to understand what might've been going on when this was happening, do you have any approximate date/times where you've seen this happen? Could you share those with us please?

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks for the reply Kev.

As I mentioned I have only recently come over to VM. As far as I can tell every time I try and watch HDR content from Netflix or Amazon I am unable to do so automatically. I have to go into the TV settings and manually set HDR+ in the menu. If I don't do this then the Picture settings are changed to what I would expect for and HDR picture but the actual setting named HDR+ is NOT set. The Picture mode is left at Movie [or whatever].

If I use the TV built in apps then everything is switched over automatically. When I finish and go back to normal viewing then HDR+ etc is switched off and all settings revert.

I did read that 2018 Samsung TVs had the ability to enable auto switching from and external HDMI device but it had not been implemented. That is why I have not progressed the issue any further. At the moment I just use the in-built apps rather tha manually switch.

Dave

luk34dd0
Dialled in

I have the same issue with any HDR content via the apps on the 360 box.

I believe, if you switch the picture mode on the TV from one to another and then back again it'll work.  I have the issue with Filmmaker Mode selected in my TV settings.

I just use the built in apps on my TV, (Samsung Q60T) they're faster and work properly without any messing about.

Virgin TV 360 + Virgin TV 360 Mini

Gig1 > Hub 4 in Modem Mode > Taotronics Mesh Wi-Fi

HDR content via the Youtube app on my 360 does not playback on my Hisense TV. However, it displays perfectly using the TVs own in built apps for YT, Netflix, Prime etc. So, clearly there is a fault with the 360.

Apart from an obvious physical picture difference, my TV displays an HDR notification when the HDR signal is received. This does not happen when using playback via the 360 app.