cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable sound

Frostyballs
Tuning in

The volume on our 360 box varies quite widely between channels, and thus recordings, and also sometimes varies from one day to the next.

Previously the volume has been normally set to 12-13. However for the past couple of months some channels we need to adjust the volume down and for some, we have to raise the volume. For example BBC1 tonight we have had to raise the volume to 17.

It isn't our TV or sound bar, as the volume is stable when using TV+ and or Amazon 4K Firestick

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some variation in sound between broadcast channels & VoD/linear sources is normal, certainly in my experience.

Are there any particular channels that you find quieter or louder? It may be a broadcaster thing, but others may be able to confirm whether we see/hear the same.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

We've had our 360 box since they were first trialled in our area (about 3 years ago), and this wide variance has only become really noticeable in the past couple of months. Previously the volume was a relatively stable 12-13 on our sound bar - now it can vary between 8-9 and 17......

The audio setting options were updated recently have you tried the different options,

Settings > Audio & Video > Audio output has three options:-

Follow Content
PCM 5.1 (HDMI only)
PCM 2.0

Follow content is recommended and if you have Dolby Atmos is required as it's bitstream.

Frostyballs
Tuning in

Checked the audio output previously and again just now. Set to 'Follow content (recommended'.

Being set to follow content will produce varying volume levels as you switch from channels that have dolby audio to channels that use PCM, the channels that don't use dolby are generally louder.

Frostyballs
Tuning in

Yes I know there will be some variance between channels. 

However, the variance has never been as marked as it has been over the two months or so. Previously we have adjusted the volume within a fairly tight range - usually between 12 and 13. Now we're experiencing a wide fluctuation between 8/9 (previously too quiet) and 17 (previously way too loud). 

Audio settings on the 360 haven't been changed by the user.