cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 wont boot up after being in standby overnight

dazjshop
Joining in

Just had new V6 installed running latest UI. Have new remote control. When I try and boot up the box after it being left in standby overnight the power up button on the remote doesn't boot up the box. It does switch off the TV though. I have to press the 'button' on the box to boot up the v6 (the one that has the red light). The box then boots up, the light on the v6 goes white and I can then use the remote to switch off/on the v6 as expected and can do this multiple times no problem. Then next day the remote won't boot the box again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps pop up a photo - you also referred to the "latest UI" which suggests you have TV360.

There haven't been any recent changes to the TiVo-UI (TiVo software drive a V6)

It's not going to alter the end result massively, but there's a mixture of V6 & TV360 users on these boards - so different people are more familiar with one of the two software platforms.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That "latest UI" and "new remote control" is not a replacement V6, it's a conversion to the (totally different software) TV360 - a good comparison is converting an Android phone to an iOS phone or vice-versa, and means your TV box isn't a V6 anymore. V6 refers to the TiVo-software which your box doesn't run now.

I suspect your issues may be to do with how the TV360 remote is paired to your TV & 360, others who use TV360 are better placed to advise there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Just to clarify...the remote isn't the latest 360 voice control one, but a fatter and shorter version of the 'banana' shaped one used with the v6. I guess because I didn't order the 360 service? Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps pop up a photo - you also referred to the "latest UI" which suggests you have TV360.

There haven't been any recent changes to the TiVo-UI (TiVo software drive a V6)

It's not going to alter the end result massively, but there's a mixture of V6 & TV360 users on these boards - so different people are more familiar with one of the two software platforms.

20221203_154544.jpg

20221203_154530.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your TV box is running TV360, not TiVo. The remote control is a V6 one, which won't drive a TV360 - this could well be the cause of your issue.

What were the circumstances of your getting a replacement box installed? If you've converted a V6 to TV360 you should have received the new remote before then actively following the "upgrade now" icon to migrate. If it was a fault replacement, have you accepted an offer, or asked to, convert (to TV360)?

I've moved house and changed package (Volt bundle) in the process.

The installer swapped my old (big) Tivo box for the new TV360 box, after checking with me. I'm familiar with the V6 box (appearance) as I have one in the bedroom. The installer was trying to boot the new TV box with a rectangular (360?) remote, and then tried a second rectangular remote without success before finally using the one in the photo and then showing me the UI. I hadn't ask to go onto TV360...I didn't even know it existed.

The installer also said the V6 in the bedroom would have the new UI firmware pushed to it in the next few hours...but this hasn't happened in 3 days now. Didn't leave me with a new remote for the box in the bedroom.

So it seems the TV360 (UI) box is provided by Virgin but not with the 360 voice controlled remote?

Hi dazjshop,

Sounds like you have been given a 360 mini to replace your old tivo because it can't be upgraded to 360 software, if the engineer has triggered your upgrade then your V6 box should be automatically updated to 360 after 5 days, this normally happens after you receive your new remotes which you will need to upgrade your V6 box to 360 and have everything woking correctly. If you don't receive your new remote or remotes then you will need to call Virgin.

Has the upgrade option appeared on your V6 box yet, if it has you need to get your new remotes.

Main box and mini box pictures below, main box looks exactly the same as V6, mini is half the height.

roy247_1-1665833089880.jpeg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Headline view: Conversions from TiVo/V6 to TV360 are not compulsory, but entirely voluntary. They also never form part of any new contract deal, though are often "offered" at the same time. Your sales person has assumed, on the face of it.

You've also got a slightly raw deal, in that your TiVo (with a hard drive) has been swapped for a TV360 mini without a hard drive. It could easily have been upgraded to another V6 and you'd have had 2 HDD's with streaming in both directions. But it's probably too late now.

For every TiVo that is swapped to TV360 or V6 that's converted, you need a new remote. At the very least that will need sorting, along with the V6 that's stuck by the sounds.

So the new box isn't a mini, it's the same size as the 360 in the picture from Roy247. I'm suspicious the installer was trying to switch on the box with what I think was a 360 remote (twice, with different remotes) before using the one in my picture. I'm also a bit miffed he didn't explain what the different remote was, rather than just saying 'it's just different' when I asked, and also made no mention of another remote needing to be delivered if my original V6 does get an upgrade...although I'm not holding my breath on that either. Oh well, looks like I have to engage with customer services and lose a few hours of my life. Cheers