cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 upgrade to 360

Mickkowa1
Tuning in

On the ultimate volt package but not on 360 boxes.  Can I have this and if so is it a free upgrade with my package or is there a charge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A package change is a completely separate thing to voluntarily choosing to convert V6 boxes into TV360. There is nothing wrong with having a Volt package but keeping your V6 software if you're happy with it. New customers don't get a choice, and have TV360 by default - existing TiVo/V6 customers don't have to convert unless they specifically want to (or are "suggested" to by VM, and accept)

The TiVo-software that drives your V6 is fundamentally different to TV360, and there are pros & cons of both. Only choose to convert your boxes into TV360 if  you are fully aware of the substantial differences, and accept them - there is no changing your mind if you don't like it.

There's plenty of previous threads comparing TiVo/V6 with TV360 if you want to do research. The only reason that Ultimate Volt comes into this, is that the conversion fee (normally ~£25 or so) is usually waived for UV customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A package change is a completely separate thing to voluntarily choosing to convert V6 boxes into TV360. There is nothing wrong with having a Volt package but keeping your V6 software if you're happy with it. New customers don't get a choice, and have TV360 by default - existing TiVo/V6 customers don't have to convert unless they specifically want to (or are "suggested" to by VM, and accept)

The TiVo-software that drives your V6 is fundamentally different to TV360, and there are pros & cons of both. Only choose to convert your boxes into TV360 if  you are fully aware of the substantial differences, and accept them - there is no changing your mind if you don't like it.

There's plenty of previous threads comparing TiVo/V6 with TV360 if you want to do research. The only reason that Ultimate Volt comes into this, is that the conversion fee (normally ~£25 or so) is usually waived for UV customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

what are the differences in terms of software between the v6 and 360?

i have volt and like a lot about the ability to renumber channels. what is the 360 missing over the v6 currently or do you have a link to a page to describe the differences?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@djr_uk wrote:

what are the differences in terms of software between the v6 and 360?

Ah, another V6 vs TV360 post... 😁

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/360-Features-v-TIVO-Features/td-p/4804820 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/My-Virgin360-TiVo-box-needs-replacing/td-p/505342... 

There are pros & cons both ways, and you won't find a webpage highlighting them - VM (understandably) want to promote the new SW and only highlight the improvements. There's plenty of threads on this forum where comparisons are made, and the forum search function should find them.

it says on VM you can just click in settings and you'll see the ability to update through the v6 box.

im guessing thats not true and you have to "Upgrade" even though its just a new operating system for the same tivo box?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"TiVo" refers to the TiVo-software which is fundamentally different to Horizon software which is the basis of TV360.

If you have a legacy TiVo box and choose to convert, you will be hardware swapped to a TV360 master/mini

If you have a V6, it is software converted and then stops being a V6.

You request the conversion either via CS or the online form, the remotes are posted to you and then the icon/app appears in your V6 menu a few days later.