cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 to 360 - is it generally worth upgrading?

zeref63
Joining in

What’s the general opinion on 360? I’ve basically ignored it so far but got an email through offering a free upgrade so tempted to give it a whirl.

I’ve read about the factory wipe to install the new OS, which I can live with, but are their any downsides that I need to consider?

13 REPLIES 13

pwh44
Joining in

No, the same functions to do not exist after the upgrade. A simple matter of not being able to select all of the HD channels. It seems be a backward upgrade.  

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pwh44 wrote:

No, the same functions to do not exist after the upgrade. A simple matter of not being able to select all of the HD channels. It seems be a backward upgrade.  

The 360 box automatically gives you HD channels in place of SD channels on the same EPG number where available. For instance for Sky Cinema or Sky Sports (where you have the Sky Sports HD add on), so you pick the content you're after, not the quality.

There are still some channels where this doesn't apply, but that's because they're not exactly the same e.g. Channel 4 SD has different adverts outside of London to Channel 4 HD. Once Channel 4 sorts this out then there will only be one channel number for Channel 4.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

I cannot understand why the all of the HD channels cannot be covered by one selection like the old box. You can select categories for Sports, Films and the others why not all of the HD channels.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pwh44 wrote:

I cannot understand why the all of the HD channels cannot be covered by one selection like the old box. You can select categories for Sports, Films and the others why not all of the HD channels.

Because 'HD' isn't a content category unlike 'Sports' or 'Films'. 'HD' tells you the picture resolution, not what the content is.

HD was only a category on older boxes because of several technical and marketing reasons that don't apply to the 360 platform. If the TiVo/V6 boxes were launching today, I wouldn't expect they'd have an HD category either.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own