cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 is better than 360

TwistedNerve
Tuning in

hi, I've been using the 360 service for a while now and it's just not as good as V6 ever was 

1. I'd often watch a recording to build up a buffer in the channel I was on, to skip the adverts... not possible now 

2. if you've selected some favourite channels, you can't type a channel number in for channels outside of favourites, that's my biggest gripe

3. fast forward used to let you see the show start again after a commercial break, so you'd press play and it would conveniently jump back about 30 seconds to where you'd like to be, but not now

4. if I press a channel number, it then asks me if I really want to go there, of course I do or I'd not have bothered... annoyingly it doesn't do it every time either just to tease me!

5. if a movie is split for 5 minutes for some reason such as entertainment news, you can't just record in one go, you have to record the series 

6. playing multiple recordings of a show on series link doesn't play things chronologically, oldest first as you could, you have to go into recording list and select the first

there's other annoyances which I can't remember off the top of my head, but those are the main ones!

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TwistedNerve wrote:

1. I'd often watch a recording to build up a buffer in the channel I was on, to skip the adverts... not possible now 

I'm not quite following you here. The mini-box doesn't have an HDD so can only pause for (IIRC) 4 or so minutes, but otherwise you can fast forward recordings & paused/delayed TV exactly the same way as TiVo/V6 can.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per japitts above the mini box doesn't have a hard drive so the pause is only for 3 or minutes.

Some tips for fast forward etc.

To skip forwards/backwards 15 minutes in recordings - press MIC and say "go forward 15 minutes" or "go back 15 minutes"
You can also say "fast forward 10 minutes" or whatever amount of time you want

To avoid adverts on streamed & on demand say "skip forward three minutes" or "fast forward 3 minutes"

The left and right arrow buttons either side of the OK button skip forward 30 seconds and back 10 seconds

When fast forwarding press TV button and that will switch off the fast forward arrows etc. For Stop press the back button or pause button, TV button also stops and puts you back to TV.

To play back in slow motion press pause then Fast Forward

You can say either pause, or to the bathroom to pause TV

When watching a recording if you press the up + down arrows opposite to the volume keys it gives you the option to go back to live TV.

To watch a recording from a saved point, click home > saved then continue watching

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1. You mean tune to a channel to build up a buffer to subsequently skip through the adverts.

With TV 360, as you could have done with V6, just press record on the channel and watch later and skip the adverts.

TV 360 also has Startover on around 30 channels where you can watch something,that’s already started, from the beginning and skip the adverts.

2. I agree you can’t press a channel number (if you know it anyway), to get to a channel outside your favourites.
You can, however, use voice control by saying either 250 or Discovery HD to reach Discovery HD.

When you navigate away from a channel not in your favourites, you get an option to add it to your favourites.

3. That is a TiVo only function. You get used to how TV 360 works by changing when you push the play button.

4. The ‘do you want to go there’ message only comes up if the live TV channel has been previously paused and behind time.

5. it seems reasonable to use a series record to record a split movie. After all, you don’t want the news break anyway.

6. I agree with you on this one. It’s just plain wrong. 

I loved TiVo functionality but am now used to how to do things that suit my usage on TV 360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'd only received a software update to v6 box, no new box was provided 👍