cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Upgrade to tv360 - recordings and mini-box

sneezy24
On our wavelength

I currently have a TivoV6, works fine, but I am considering upgrading to tv360.

Can I get clarification on:-

- I understand I can upgrade the TiVo V6 to tv360 (don't need to replace the box)

- I understand I loose the existing recordings on the V6 box - is this correct?

- I DON'T need a co-ax feed to a mini box - it will stream over Wi-Fi. Will this also stream live channels or is it just recording/on-demand.

I'm sure the answers are on this forum - but I can't find definite answers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

@sneezy24 wrote:

- I understand I can upgrade the TiVo V6 to tv360 (don't need to replace the box)         Yes

- I understand I loose the existing recordings on the V6 box - is this correct?      Yes

- I DON'T need a co-ax feed to a mini box - it will stream over Wi-Fi. Will this also stream live channels or is it just recording/on-demand.

You do need a co-ax for live TV, and either wi-fi or ethernet for streaming recordings from the main box and on demand

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

roy247
Community elder

@sneezy24 wrote:

- I understand I can upgrade the TiVo V6 to tv360 (don't need to replace the box)         Yes

- I understand I loose the existing recordings on the V6 box - is this correct?      Yes

You do need a co-ax for live TV, and either wi-fi or ethernet for streaming recordings from the main box and on demand

Royalbeech
Superfast

@sneezy24 wrote:

- I understand I can upgrade the TiVo V6 to tv360 (don't need to replace the box)

Correct the V6 boxes will have a softawre updated.

- I understand I loose the existing recordings on the V6 box - is this correct?

Yes this is correct, the boxe Hard Disk is fomated and all recording wiped

- I DON'T need a co-ax feed to a mini box - it will stream over Wi-Fi. Will this also stream live channels or is it just recording/on-demand

The Mini box will require a Co-ax feed for the Live TV,  the wifi is for steaming the suff recorde on the main box and us of the app's etc.

If you already have 2 V6 boxes, you won't get a Mini box, as both will be updated, which also meens you will have 2 hard disk to record on, giving 2 TB.

Thanks, that confirms what I thought.

For the co-ax....

I have a TV standard co-ax that I can link between the lounge (where the V6 and Superhub are) and the bedroom (where the second TV is).

Can I use this for the co-ax feed?? I know I will have to play around with connectors.

I assume Virgin wouldn't support this though.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Neither would it be supported nor should you do it,

If you want a second box, Virgin Media will install the co-ax for it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@sneezy24 wrote:

Thanks, that confirms what I thought.

For the co-ax....

I have a TV standard co-ax that I can link between the lounge (where the V6 and Superhub are) and the bedroom (where the second TV is).

Can I use this for the co-ax feed?? I know I will have to play around with connectors.

I assume Virgin wouldn't support this though.

If you haven't already got a second Virgin coax point you will need a Virgin technician to install one as they use their own cable and may have to adjust signal levels in the street cabinet.

If you upgrade your bundle to something like ultimate oomph to get the mini box and you can't do a quickstart installation I think you can get the technician install free, I may get corrected on that one.

The TV360 help page maybe worth a read,

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

I think you can get the technician install free.

This is possible but it depends how good you negotiation skills are.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add some general info here...

All VM TV boxes need two connections.

1: Co-ax feed for live TV channels - needs to be installed by VM, regardless.

2: Intenet connection for OnDemand, streaming & updates. This is in-built on a TiVo, and can be either wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) on a V6 or 360.

The only difference between the V6 & 360 is that a 360 multiroom box is a mini without a hard drive. A V6 multiroom box is fully functional with HDD. This alone, is an excellent reason to get multiroom installed whilst on the TiVo platform, and then if you choose to migrate both boxes - it should just be a software drop.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @sneezy24 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I can confirm the advice of your fellow community members.  If you wish to have a 2nd box installed, you would need cabling to be installed to reach the room you wish the box to be located.#

Regards

Lee_R

sneezy24
On our wavelength

Thanks!

As I thought, so I will wait until the V6 box fails!