cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 To 360 Upgrade Questions

Poddys
Dialled in

I have edited this post and added at the end. More searching (stumbling) through the forums have given me more information but also more questions...

-----

This really covers TV, Broadband and Phone, but this forum seems more focused on the 360 box and I have a few questions as our Ultimate Oomph package is expiring and we are looking to move to the Ultimate Volt package.

We currently have a V6 box and a Hub 3 but in different rooms and the wiring from outside comes into one room for broadband/phone and another room for the tv. We recently built an extension, so the cable for the tv was only run from the brown box on the front of the house several months ago.

Am I right in thinking that the 360 box does everything, including being the router?

If so, that would cause problems with 2 wired computers (we both work from home) as it would mean cabling from the 360 box to those devices (cables already run from the router).

Ditto the phone, where the cable comes in the same place as the broadband, so that would have to be moved as well.

Then the cable, which was recently hooked up for the tv from the front of the house to the back. I assume this is just tv or would it be broadband and phone as well?

In an ideal scenario, I would hope we could swap the V6 for the 360 and leave the Hub 3 and phone as they are.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. This community has a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people and it's hard to find much info at all on the Virgin site unfortunately.

So 360 Is Just A Replacement For V6?

I was led to understand the 360 was an all in one box, but it seems it's literally just a replacement for V6 with different features (like sharing recordings etc).

No need to worry about changing my router or phone cables coming into the house in that case?

I thought 360 Was A New/Different Box?

Sounds like new customers get a 360 box but existing have their V6 box wiped and 360 software installed on it.

If so, that's good in one respect, but is a new 360 box faster and does it have larger storage?

The Menu System Is Different On The 360?

Obviously it's different software so a different menu/guide etc, but hopefully not like Sky Glass. My son-in-law has Sky and their remote requires you to point at the screen like using a mouse, which is really horrible to use. I hope it's not switched to something similar as clicking on buttons, albeit having been around for years, is very easy to do.

Voice control sounds good. I use it occasionally with Google/Alexa but it would be nice when searching for a show to not have to select the letters in the title one by one. Bonus if that works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could equate V6 vs 360 with Windows 10 vs Windows 11.

You'll be using the same hardware in the case of both conversions, with the exact same connectivity.

The software is fundamentally different, and both have pros & cons. And both are irreversible one-way conversions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 360 works in exactly the same way as the V6, the difference is that instead of running on the TIVO platform it runs on the Horizon platform.

The 360 isn't a router, it's just a TV set top box.

It can be connected by either wifi or ethernet cable and will continue to use your current hub3.

Your telephone line will also be unaffected by switching to 360. It will still be connected by either the wall socket or via the hub (the same set up as you are currently using)

(Corrected typos caused by sticky space bar)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for clarifying that Dave. Big relief at this end knowing I won't need to recable anything.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could equate V6 vs 360 with Windows 10 vs Windows 11.

You'll be using the same hardware in the case of both conversions, with the exact same connectivity.

The software is fundamentally different, and both have pros & cons. And both are irreversible one-way conversions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks