Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box replaced and new remote control

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin TV Remote Control Issues

My old V6 box developed a hard disc fault and was replaced – and the remote was replaced also – by the latest design.

1. First thing of note is that the new remote has TWO buttons labelled “TV” – a round one at top left and a rectangular one to right of “Home”. What is the purpose of the round one? There is no description of its function in the picture guides or text.

2. The term “Standby” is nowhere to be seen on the new remote device. However, if I click the red “Power On/Off” button to close down, surprise surprise – instructions about Standby appear – including – “….click the Standby button.” So where is it?

If I just let it close down by itself into Standby and later attempt to waken it up, I find that clicking the power button has zero effect. However, clicking (by finger) the “+” button on the front of the box brings it immediately back to life on-screen. I have yet to find any description of what the “minus and plus” buttons on the front of the box are supposed to do. So where is that documented?

All advice welcome.

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BillC45 

1. Once you've paired the 360 remote with your TV then the white round TV button allows you to switch off your TV independently of the 360 set top box. To turn the TV back on just press that button again.

Also, if the 360 is turned off, if you click the red power button it should turn on the 360 (and also the TV providing you've enabled one power in the 360 settings)

2. On the 360 remote press Home > Settings > System > Standby timer

You can change this to either 4,5,6 or 24 hours.

It's also worth looking at Home > Settings > System > Standby power consumption

You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.
The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it

If you've lost the 360 remote control you can (allegedly find it by) pressing and holding the +(plus)  button on the front of the 360 box for about 10 seconds or until you hear the remote start to beep to audibly locate the remote.

That method doesn't work for me, however holding the -  (minus) button on the front of the 360 works for me

360 remote functions360 remote functions

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BillC45 wrote:

My old V6 box developed a hard disc fault and was replaced – and the remote was replaced also – by the latest design.

Did you ask for the conversion to 360? Or was it forced on you?

If conversions from TiVo/V6 > 360 are now "encouraged" as part of fault swapouts, this changes things a little.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe I should have posted this on the V6 board as well as, or in place of the 360 board. Because the problem seems to be one of compatibility between the V6 platform on the TV box and the new 360 remote control. Note that my box is running V6 Tivo software and I have not upgraded to the full 360 version.

Current situation is – I can issue “pair TV and remote 0” command using the new 360 remote. Light flashes after a few seconds. Then, clicking the round white button does precisely – nothing. 

My problem seems to be that I cannot use the new remote to update the V6 platform.

Am I missing something obvious?

roy247
Community elder

@BillC45 wrote:

Maybe I should have posted this on the V6 board as well as, or in place of the 360 board. Because the problem seems to be one of compatibility between the V6 platform on the TV box and the new 360 remote control. Note that my box is running V6 Tivo software and I have not upgraded to the full 360 version.

Current situation is – I can issue “pair TV and remote 0” command using the new 360 remote. Light flashes after a few seconds. Then, clicking the round white button does precisely – nothing. 

My problem seems to be that I cannot use the new remote to update the V6 platform.

Hi BillC45,

I think you have been sent the wrong remote.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TV 360 remote is not compatible with TiVo software.

You have been given the wrong remote and need to request the proper ‘peanut’ remote to drive your V6 running TiVo.

708F01AF-FFA0-46AF-8A9B-E85192C449F4.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BillC45 

The remote you described in the initial post sounds like the voice controlled 360 remote. I posted a picture of it in my original post.

It looks like they've either sent the 360 remote in error, or perhaps your current V6 is going to be upgraded to a 360 (without you being informed)  hence the different 360 remote.

If the box  isn't already running the 360 platform (and is set to become a 360 on VM systems) then it should should automatically update itself after 5 days.

When I received my 360 remotes (I had 2 boxes) there were update instructions printed on the inside of the box containing the 360 remote. You need to start the process using the V6 at first, and then switch to the 360 remote when prompted onscreen.

The upgrade instructions are online <<< here >>>   and below is a picture of the instructions

upgrade to 360upgrade to 360

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

roy247
Community elder

Hi BillC45,

Do you still have your old remote or was it taken by the engineer, if it was taken was it because it was faulty. If it was still working and you still have it you could use that, you would still need a V6 remote to start the upgrade from V6 to 360 if that is what you are going to do. The upgrade will self install after 5 days when it has been downloaded to your box.

Are you supposed to be upgrading to 360 ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BillC45 wrote:

Note that my box is running V6 Tivo software and I have not upgraded to the full 360 version.

@BillC45 

This is what I was getting at with my original query.

Conversions from TiVo/V6 to 360 are voluntary, but as part of re-contracting is currently being "encouraged" in many cases - not really a surprise.

If VM were to "force" conversions as part of fault replacements, that's crossing a line for me. But if you've been sent the wrong equipment by mistake, then VM's wonderful (at times) admin has struck again.

If you still have your old remote, that should work with your replacement V6 no problem albeit need re-pairing again.

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been a bit busy this weekend - no time to devote to this.

I'll juggle with the issues for a few days and report back towards the end of the week.

Thanks again.