cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V360 Upgrade

Nathandale94
Tuning in

Not sure if anybody could help or had a similar experience...

I have been a virgin customer now for over 7 years and received a call on Monday asking if I would upgrade which I agreed to on the terms that they upgraded my old tivo box to the newer 360 box and wifi hub also. All went great until installing the new 360 box which I now know to actually be a 360 mini. My menu screen is the same layout/look as the tivo menu screen, I can't pause live TV, record, watch catchup (error code V210) and I cannot click on the help option (error code M63). I followed all instructions to a T and when I try the online help it offers no solutions and tells me to call virgin, which in turn tells me to go to online help then cuts me off. Seems like I can't win here so I've turned here for help.

Am I missing the master box? Who do I call or speak to to get one? 

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks for the help! I have no idea why they've sent the v6 box then, it even came in the 360 box, instructions and remote. Hopefully the engineer will sort it, fingers crossed. 

roy247
Community elder

@Ernie_C wrote:

If it really is a TV 360 mini, I fail to understand how it can run TiVo software, look like a TiVo and give TiVo error codes.

If a V6 can be software upgraded to a 360, and as the hardware is basically the same why is it a 360 can't then run TiVo software, if you have a new box I believe they come without the software and that gets downloaded when the box gets activated to your account it will load either Tivo or Horizon software depending on your account settings and as the only difference between a mini box and main box is the hard drive it would still work but with reduced functionality. I also remember someone posting something similar, possibly having a mini to replace a TiVo box but having a V6 still running TiVo, I think their complaint was no recording on the mini box.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I totally concur with @Ernie_C in post-10 and agree this will need VM intervention to resolve.

A 360-master & V6 are identical hardware but completely different software. The OP's box has TiVo software but account is clearly configured for 360.

The two don't mix, hence the TiVo error codes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Hi japitts and Ernie_C,

Not looking to pick a fight with anyone over this, ignoring the fact that both boxes are basically the same hardware give or take a few revisions over the years then they should be able to run the same software. My problem is that, are the boxes preloaded with the software or is that downloaded when you activate the box with the account, I have seen posts stating both but none from Virgin staff. Also I have seen a post where someone said he had a mini box to replace a Tivo and it worked with his V6 still running TiVo. 🤔

Just a quick edit to say if it's not downloading software why does it take so long to link to your account, it's not using a n old dial up modem.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your questions are valid roy, and I recognise the threads you mention... As far as advice to the OP goes, what's been posted thus far does stand. VM need to intervene here, it can't be solved via self-serve.

I am unsure at which point of the procurement process a box is "tagged" as V6 or 360, I'm intrigued and will make enquiries via the VIP channels.

What does stand, is that the same advice applies here as to anyone who asks about reverting from 360 back to TiVo/V6 - it can't be done. Once an account or STB is running 360, it's a one-way trip.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally, I doubt boxes get sent out empty of either TiVo or Horizon. Why would you?

In fact, I believe this thread supports my stance.

It appears that this account is configured for TV 360 so how did TiVo get loaded into it if boxes are sent out empty? TiVo must have been in this box when it arrived at the customer.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Ernie,

If you sent the boxes out empty you could load the engineer up with a 100 or so boxes and send him on his way, if each box had a preinstalled script which ran when powered on to link to the account, determine if it's V6 or 360, and then downloaded the correct software from the server, this problem wouldn't happen. Although you could then argue that by preinstalling the software the boxes are tested.

I not going going to say anything else as it's detracting from OP's problem.

Hi @Nathandale94, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

I can see as you've mentioned that you're having a technician visit, so please let me know that once this has happened if you're still having problems or not and we can take things from there!

Many thanks

Tom_W