cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V360 Slow Menu Issues

byhamc
Tuning in

I have one of the V6 Virgin boxes that, a little over a year ago, was 'upgraded' to V360.

I'll park all my moans on the so-called upgrade - that's already been well documented by a number of people.

Instead, I wanted to highlight a couple of issues I'm having, and see whether anyone else is experiencing the same.

The one that's most apparent is a VERY slow menu system. Moving between pages of channels in the guide or trying to bring up my saved recordings can often result in a blank screen (template of the expected screen shown, but none of the actual detail) which can remain for a very long time - I timed up to about a minute. If this happened only every now and then, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but it's happening more often than not.

The other is even more bizarre - when using the guide, around 50% of the time moving between programmes / channels, the screen will briefly show the description of the highlighted show (for a second or two max) and then revert to the information from the previously highlighted show. Quite infuriating when trying to get info on what to watch next.

I'm not sure whether there have been any minor updates recently that might have caused an issue, or whether this is a box that is slowly failing. I'm loath to call it in as a faulty box, as I've managed to recover quite a lot of the recordings that I lost 14 months ago when upgrading to 360, and don't really want to have to start from scratch again....

Anyone else experiencing similar issues, or have any advice on this.

13 REPLIES 13

deans6571
Wise owl

@byhamc wrote:

I have one of the V6 Virgin boxes that, a little over a year ago, was 'upgraded' to V360.

I'll park all my moans on the so-called upgrade - that's already been well documented by a number of people.

Instead, I wanted to highlight a couple of issues I'm having, and see whether anyone else is experiencing the same.

The one that's most apparent is a VERY slow menu system. Moving between pages of channels in the guide or trying to bring up my saved recordings can often result in a blank screen (template of the expected screen shown, but none of the actual detail) which can remain for a very long time - I timed up to about a minute. If this happened only every now and then, it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but it's happening more often than not.

The other is even more bizarre - when using the guide, around 50% of the time moving between programmes / channels, the screen will briefly show the description of the highlighted show (for a second or two max) and then revert to the information from the previously highlighted show. Quite infuriating when trying to get info on what to watch next.

I'm not sure whether there have been any minor updates recently that might have caused an issue, or whether this is a box that is slowly failing. I'm loath to call it in as a faulty box, as I've managed to recover quite a lot of the recordings that I lost 14 months ago when upgrading to 360, and don't really want to have to start from scratch again....

Anyone else experiencing similar issues, or have any advice on this.

Personally, I think its an issue with your own box.

I also have a very old V6 box (it was my only box when I upgraded from the old Samsung TiVo box) and upgraded to the 360 via the OTA update (around March 2021) - my box is quite speedy actually and I experience non of the issues you describe.

Thanks deans6571,

Like you, mine was fine up until a couple of weeks ago (so over a year after the upgrade), this is quite a recent development.

I'll keep an eye on it for another couple of weeks.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @byhamc 

Try a factory reset. Don't worry, if you follow the isntructions you won't lose yuor recording or series links.

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

With the 360 selecting Choose Keep Recordings means you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

klf3
On our wavelength

Having the same issue. The firmware has recently been upgraded to version 4.37, so not sure if this is the culprit. Until then, box behaved flawlessly.

No real point trying to get Virgin to sort it out, so just keeping my fingers crossed it will sort itself out in due course. All really frustrating (as usual) with Virgin. Potentially a top class service continually let down by one issue or another ! Rant over.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @byhamc,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your TV box, I have checked our systems and can see that a new box maybe required to resolve this problem, 
I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

klf3
On our wavelength

Many thanks Steven. Look forward to hearing from you.

klf3
On our wavelength

Sorry Steven_L.

Just realised your offer was for the original poster, so apologies for slightly hijacking the post.

However, I too have an original V6 box which was upgraded to a TV360 via the firmware update, so wondered if I too need a new box ?

@klf3 wrote:

Having the same issue. The firmware has recently been upgraded to version 4.37, so not sure if this is the culprit. Until then, box behaved flawlessly.

That is not the culprit - my box also updated to 4.37 last night and its running fine.

klf3
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply. Can only assume then that the problem is either the recent changes to the BBC HD channels or my box (which was an original V6 box upgraded to TV360 via firmware upgrade) now giving up the ghost.

Have tried to get contact Virgin via phone (impossible) or Twitter ( who just point me back to the forum).

Really getting fed up with it all - Now time for Sky perhaps?