cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two remotes for one box

MarySton
Tuning in

We had Sky for many years and decided to give Virgin a go .  I think that might have been a mistake.  My husband and I are both mid 70s and are used to having two remotes for our Sky box.  We assumed, wrongly it seems, that we would be able to do the same with Virgin.

I have read the lengths some people have gone to to try and solve this problem, but, really why should we have to.  If it is possible for Sky to do this, then it must be possible for Virgin.  I guess we will just have to ride out our contract before we can return to Sky.  Unless, of course, Virgin can come upwith something within the next couple of months.

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MarySton wrote:

If it is possible for Sky to do this, then it must be possible for Virgin.

I don't see why this follows... I presume you're talking about SkyQ, but in anycase the software is completely different.

It's a bit like saying that "just because Android can do something, so should Apple". Different software platforms work differently, even if the end result is often similar.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

I didn't know Sky provided 2 remotes with each box, is that the case, or is it you just don't want to use a universal remote and have to set it up as a Ziggo Mediabox Next. The one4all 7125 is available for £20, alright it doesn't have voice control but it depends on how much you use it.

Yes, Sky provided us with two remotes.

Of course I realise that the software is different. Sorry, I guess I hoped that would be realised. I was generally trying to get across that if Sky has managed to solve this problem then I hoped Virgin might be able to do this too. It is a deal breaker for us. We both have health problems and yes, we can share a remote, but it is oddly awkward. Do you share a remote?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The issue has been discussed before on the forum and there are two solutions.

I can’t recall the first solution but a search should establish which type of remote you can buy which operates as a second remote for TV 360.

The second solution is to use any smartphone or tablet you have and install the Virgin TV Go app to use as a remote.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Unfortunately you can't pair 2 360 remotes to one 360 box so there would be no point in Virgin giving you another remote and they are not going to be responsible for providing a universal remote. So the options are as Ernie_C says use the TVGO app on a mobile or tablet or buy a universal remote such as the one4all 7125 which has been posted by others as being compatible.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MarySton 

It may also be possible to pair your TV remote with the 360.

I've managed to do that with my LG TV, and other forums posts suggest it's possible with other TV manufacturers.

Each 360 remote pairs 1 to 1 with the box, it does not use infra-red (IR). This means you can only use one remote with a box and not multiple.

You can use some third party remotes such as the OneForAll URC7125 - use the SimpleSet setup process and choose Ziggo manufacturer

Also the Logitech Harmony remote.  You need to set them up as a "Ziggo Mediabox Next" 

You can also control the 360 by using the Virgin TV Go app.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MarySton

Thanks for posting on our community forum

As advised above by Ernie_C unfortunately these are the only options we can offer.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

denrenix
On our wavelength

I have just received VM TV 360 and phoned to ask for a second remote to operate on the same 360 box. I explained why we wanted it and they agreed to send me one for £10. Reading on this forum now I wonder if they will both work on the same box.