cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading V6 to 360

amac31
Tuning in

I have 3 V6 boxes that I want to keep so I don't lose any storage space ,I enquired about a software only update but was told that it was not possible and I needed new boxes at a cost of £124.85. I was enquiring via online chat so decided to leave the chat and try sepaking on the phone instead. I was then told that it was possible to keep my boxes but as I was mid contract they would have to re-contract me and I would lose my discounts so to have a software update with no package changes, no new equipement ( apart from remotes ) it would then cost me an extra £55 per month. Are they crazy who would agree to paying an extra £55 per month to receive what they already have? no wonder they are losing customers, I have been a loyal customer since inception and must have spent tens of thousands of pounds and this is how I'm treated yet someone new can phone up and have everything handed to them on a plate at a reduced price. I am not asking the world jus a simple OTA software update that can be actioned with a push of a button. I maybe mid contract but after 20 years or so of being a loyal customer the contract will not be renewed.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's no reason you can't convert 3 x V6 into 360 using a software drop, but this will need an engineer visit. The underlying reasons why 2 x V6 can be converted using the "self-serve" methods but 3 can't, have never been entirely clear - but this rule has been consistent.

I have no idea why you're being advised to change package in order to do this migration. Package changes & equipment changes are completely separate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I was told that as I was mid contract I would lose the discounts previously applied , I was also perplexed by this as I explained that I was not changing my package or receiving new equipement but simply wanting my boxes updating with the latest software but this seems to have fallen on deaf ears as they are not budging on their statement. I cannot be bothered to argue so I will just leave Virgin when the contract ends, I only stuck with them for the faster broadband speeds but I can now get a 5G broadband router with speeds of about 700 Mb/s for less than £30 per month.

Hi @amac31,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you're having a bit of trouble with your TV boxes and that you're now considering cancelling your package and leaving us as a result.

May I ask why it is that you're looking to upgrade the software specifically? Are you experiencing any issues with your TV services and/or the functionality of the box at the moment?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I'm not having any issues with my boxes, I have simply requested that my 3 existing V6 boxes are upgraded to the latest 360 software which is not an unreasonable request considering the amount of money I spend with Virgin Media. I was first told that it was not possible and I needed new boxes at a cost of £124.85 then I was told it is possible but as I was mid contract I would have to recontract my package and would lose my discounts meaning I would then have to pay an extra £55 per month. I do not wish to change my package nor do I need any new boxes I just need my existing boxes upgrading to the latest software available. I know this is possible because a family member has had their boxes upgraded to the 360 software with no extra cost and no contract renewal.

@amac31 wrote:

I'm not having any issues with my boxes, I have simply requested that my 3 existing V6 boxes are upgraded to the latest 360 software which is not an unreasonable request considering the amount of money I spend with Virgin Media. I was first told that it was not possible and I needed new boxes at a cost of £124.85 then I was told it is possible but as I was mid contract I would have to recontract my package and would lose my discounts meaning I would then have to pay an extra £55 per month. I do not wish to change my package nor do I need any new boxes I just need my existing boxes upgrading to the latest software available. I know this is possible because a family member has had their boxes upgraded to the 360 software with no extra cost and no contract renewal.

Don't pay anything extra for 360, just wait until next year when VM will have to provide 360 for free.

Don't worry, i will not be paying any extra. Once I cancel I will be getting a 5g router that delivers the same speeds a VM an I will look elsewhere for my TV requirements.