cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade issue

joanne_hilder
Joining in

Hi all,

Yesterday I had my old Tivo boxes updated to 360 boxes but currently my main box is still on the Tivo software. The 360 mini box works but I can't update the main box to the 360 software. The option just isn't there and I can't access the apps & games section due to reduced functionality. 

When I press the home button on the main box I am greeted with a message saying something along the lines of you have had an issue with your account and have reduced functionality. I phoned support this morning and they adjusted bits their end and said to reboot the box and it'll start working properly. It's been rebooted and is still not updating and now I can't pause live TV or use catch up services. I was told someone would call me back to make sure it was working but that never happened.

Also, I have the new remote and the old one was taken away so can't use thumbs up etc etc. 

Is there anyway to force the box to update to the 360 software? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The mini-box doesn't have a hard drive and completely relies on your master box for all recording facilities.

So the underlying issue is that the master box hasn't converted to 360, reducing the mini to just having live TV, OnDemand & a short 4ish minute buffer. - I think your best action here is to call VM Faults to report it - 11150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone)

VM staff might take a couple of days to respond on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi joanne_hilder,

Sorry to see you are having problems with the 360 update.

In your post you mention TIVO boxes. TIVO's can't be updated to 360, they need to be swapped out.

Are you sure the boxes aren't V6? V6's are able to perform the software upgrade. You can check which boxes you have <<< here >>> 

If you had both a V6 and a TIVO you should have been sent a 360 mini to replace the TIVO. 

However if both boxes were V6's then it's a straight software update and you won't have a mini (the mini doesn't have a hard drive)

If both boxes were V6's, then try disconnecting the one that hasn't updated from the mains for 5/10 minutes.

Also have you tried swapping them around to see if that can force the update?

I'm surprised you can watch TV on the box that hasn't updated. You can download the TV Control app to use as a temporary remote for the box that isn't working https://www.virginmedia.com/tv/go-control 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the reply. I deffo have a v6 box downstairs and a 360 mini box upstairs. I did have the old chunky TIVO boxes in both rooms but they were taken away by the engineer.

The mini box works absolutely fine on the new software but the downstairs v6 box won't update to the 360 software so I can't record or stream to the mini box. 

The engineer couldn't activate the boxes whilst he was here as the activation service was down and said they'll both activate and update when this service is back up. The mini box did but the main v6 box hasn't. It still has TIVO software on. 

The main box has been rebooted so many times but isn't updating. I can't pause live TV, record or use catch up services on it either but I can the mini box on the 360 software. 

Sorry, just to clarify, I can pause live TV and use catch up services on the mini but not record. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The mini-box doesn't have a hard drive and completely relies on your master box for all recording facilities.

So the underlying issue is that the master box hasn't converted to 360, reducing the mini to just having live TV, OnDemand & a short 4ish minute buffer. - I think your best action here is to call VM Faults to report it - 11150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone)

VM staff might take a couple of days to respond on here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the reply, pretty much as I suspected. I was just hoping if someone knew of a way to force the update my end without me having to waste another hour of my life on hold for tech support. 

Hi @joanne_hilder,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you seem to be having some trouble with your new TV boxes. I can see that on your last post in this thread a few days ago you mentioned calling the technical support team as suggested by the other community members. Did you go ahead with this? If so, has this now been resolved or do you need further assistance?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I haven't had chance to call yet. I haven't had a spare hour until after the phone lines have closed so nothing is resolved currently. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Joanne_Hilder, 

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you are still having issues, I have managed to locate your account and can see your box is now 360, have you rebooted?

The software update is done via an app, was this explained to you? What happened on the day of set up so we can get an idea of what is going on.

Zoie

The slave box is on the 360 software so that's not an issue. The main box is still on the TiVO software after a reboot.

With regards to the app, I don't have access to the apps as it says there is an issue with the account and if you are experiencing reduced functionality, call us on UNKNOWN - therfore I am no nearer to getting it updated and the record, pause, on-demand functionality back. Frustrating isn't the word.