cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade V6 to 360 ... fail ... fail ... fail

mhl
Joining in

So I tried to upgrade my V6 box to 360 - fail, error MA3/14/40.

I search this forum for advice and follow it, with the results -

• delete all recordings and reboot box - upgrade still fails
  • disconnect box from mains supply, several times for various periods from 15 sec to 15 min - upgrade still fails
  • power recycle holding down power and + buttons for 30 sec, several times - upgrade still fails
  • factory reset - upgrade still fails

At the end of all this the only difference I see is that the error code has changed from the original MA3/14/40 to MA1/4/40.

Is there a VM techie here who can advise on what more I can do apart from trying the lottery of phoning the help line?

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want to wait on here for VM staff to respond, that's an option - but you're likely looking at a couple of days.

If you're looking for a more immediate response, then you're better off calling in.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A very frustrating 40 minute call with a south Asian "help" centre. After I had explained the situation and the action I'd already taken, the assistant started from the top of her script - "Make sure the box is switched on and then click on the Upgrade now button".
I stopped her and pointed out that I was already beyond the end of her script, which she admitted stopped at factory reset and did not address error code MA1/4/40. After a hold while she consulted someone else and/or a different script I was asked to upgrade from my second box instead. I explained that I had already tried this but the system locks out the second box once an upgrade has been triggered on another box. This caused consternation and another hold for further consultation. Eventually she came back to report that they could neither identify/fix the fault nor perform the upgrade remotely - so I will be sent two new V360 boxes.
I understand that I have to called VM again once I have received and installed the new boxes in order to activate them: I was surprised that this doesn't happen automatically.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mhl 

I may be wrong but I don't think you will receive the two new boxes that are being "sent out".  VM don't usually send out replacement boxes, it's normally a manned installation and a tech brings the boxes with them.

The correct course of action after performing the steps you have tried is usually for the agent to pass it to second level support  for them to either re send the signal, or update the systems, and if that fails VM then send out a tech with replacement boxes. 

A member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you and check

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo

I will admit I was a bit surprised when I was told that two new boxes were being sent directly to me (and that I should receive tracking information within 72 hours). I was under the impression that VM use delivery & installation by their own people as you describe - my existing V6 boxes were delivered and installed by one of their techs/engineers.  I'm pretty tech-savvy and comfortable installing and working with electronic/IT kit, but I'm happy for VM to be responsible for correct fitting and operation of their own boxes.  Probably the offshore call centre staff aren't familiar with VM policy on installation at end-user premises.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there mhl,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with the upgrade, so we can investigate this further I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

@Kain_W

No PM received ..? I'm still waiting for any sign of VM assistance with this problem.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for that mhl,

The message has been sent now and will show within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain