cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Tivo6 to Tivo360

Kentrainbuff
Dialled in

Have just upgraded(?) From dual Tivo6 environment to a Tivo360 with secondary box.

First impressions are this does not seem to be an upgrade for following reasons. If some of these are wrong or can be achieved on a Tivo360 then please let me know. Otherwise i feel i have been cheated and instead of an upgrade i have actually got downgraded!

• Tivo360 only gives 2 min pause/rewind of live TV. Tivo6 you could rewind back to start of programme seemingly up to an hour it felt like.
  • Cannot recover deleted programmes on Tivo360.
  • Cannot play at fast pace with audio like Tivo6 has.
  • Cannot edit Series record settings to specifically ignore streaming/reruns or specify a particular series only
  • No ability to see learnt suggestions
  • When in guide can only search programme titles, cannot search channel name to find in list ( very useful on app, missing from new app)
  • No STOP button just play/pause. So to stop and delete recording and return to live TV from a recorded programme have to press BACK button, delete then go to live TV in a messy series of buttons
  • No easy ability to see when programme was first transmitted when looking at info in guide.
  • Reduced ability to explore programme to see other details/series/episodes
  • Unlike dual TIVO6 environment where each is autonomous doing own recordings, if the TIVO360 main box fails (or is say switched off for decorating) then the smaller TIVO360 box cannot record or play recordings as they are on the main box

Am I missing something or is  TIVO6 with APP a much more user friendly environment with more features. I am seriously thinking of asking for my two TIVO6 boxes back.

Regards

Ken

42 REPLIES 42

Virgin Media need to take drastic action now! This whole 360 roll out is a disaster and VM need to take responsibility!

Customers should be immediately rolled back to the superior Tivo on the V6 and compensated and future 360 roll out should be halted until all the issues are resolved.

Hi Jaunty,

Yes 2 boxes reverted back to V6. Had to call VM but they did it as described in my original post. Sent the new boxes back.

M

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mam2cat wrote:

Hi Jaunty,

Yes 2 boxes reverted back to V6. Had to call VM but they did it as described in my original post. Sent the new boxes back.

M

Just to be clear, you originally agreed to the offer to replace your existing V6 boxes with a Humax 360 box plus a mini box.

You held on to the V6 boxes and subsequently VM agreed to re commission your V6 boxes and allowed you to return the new boxes.

So at no point in this process did your V6 boxes receive the 360 firmware, which was then reversed by VM.

Worth checking as there is so much misleading stuff being posted on this forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have been trying to revert back from the god awful 360 to the V6 on my 2 boxes for 3 weeks, with daily hour long calls to the unhelpful "customer service". After initially been told it was going to be done, they now say it can't. I think it just depends on who takes the call, most of whome don't even know what I am talking about, re.the download. My 2 boxes are Arris and received the 360 firmware download rather than the new Humax pre-installed boxes.

Is there a dedicated contact for the illusive 360 team? I have exhausted all communication to try sort this with daily messages on here, live chat, emails, twitter as well as calls but nothing is getting done.

Hi Graham,

I received my new Tivo360 and mini box. These were installed and at that point I discovered this was a downgrade rather than an upgrade. I had them connected for a few days and thought I was stuck with them as that’s what I had read.  My original two V6 boxes were all ready to go back.

Eventually I rang VM and spoke to an agent. I told him I wasn’t happy and could I revert back. He said yes no problem and we started that process there and then. I reconnected my V6 boxes and he started sending updates down. He got all the channels working but no other features. He then suggested I call the following day as it had gone 6pm and the appropriate team wasn’t there.

I called the following day and spoke to an English agent the previous agent being Asian. The new agent continued to send updates down and eventually I had everything back.

So it can be done. Good luck.

M

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks @Mam2cat  for the clarification.  Yours was a different situation to others posting this thread where their existing V6 boxes have been reformatted with the 360 software via a download process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

We are still persevering with our V360 boxes. Still desperately waiting for the promised upgrades such as:

Series link management

New only recordings

Play one and half speed with audio

Loss of last transmitted date

Recovery of accidentally deleted items

Two main boxes rather than one being a slave which moans it cannot play or set up recordings when main box has gone to sleep

Inability to explore as well as the old V6 box.

No stop button just a pause button so you need to hit back button to drop out.

Problems we are still experiencing and getting wound up on:

When switching main box on with TV it comes up in picture but no sound or picture appears and disappears then reappears with no sound. Best option found here was to disable control so you need to turn each device on seperately, TV first. Any other sequence or setting brings misery

Slave constantly moans about being unable to do things when main box in sleep mode.

Slave appears to have dodgy Ethernet as cabled back to router but intdrmittently moans about buffering or lost connection

Both boxes appear to get themselves tied up when negotiating quickly or pressing advance e0 seconds quickly so that a power on reset is required

Annoying habit of recording reruns when you have watched and deleted episode in a series. This would surely be fixed with series management and new episode only options together with displays of series and episodes.

Given the hassles people are reporting on going back to the good old V6 boxes (still smarting over loss of split recording capability for resilience - main V360 box go down bye bye recordings and ability to record until replaced)

So does anyone have a comparison of V360 with Sky Q 

Ken

It will take for the missing features to be added back it cant just be done over night. Some feature might not come back due to 3rd party company's not allowing it etc. As Virgin are no longer using Tivo they need to work directly with 3rd Parties like Netflix to get things like enable searching from the Horizon software etc and Netflix may not want to tweak there apps to allow it etc. Things like the recording functionality for new only and restoring deleted programs will come back in time. The Horizon software is a different platform. most of the other companies using it would not of had TiVo previously so we need to wait for these bits to be added.

mrskidmarks
Tuning in
You’ve echoed many of the failures that I have picked up on since upgrading 3 days ago. It’s another case of applying an Apple-like philosophy of making everything pretty and up to the latest for children and morons but seems to have lost so much of the usefulness of the Tivo6, which let’s face it, was far from brilliant

So far I haven’t worked out how to delete the channel logos from the Channel Guide, can’t watch episode 2 of a saved programme but can watch episode 3. Interesting all 3 episodes are listed as being broadcast next week!

Maybe it just needs time but so far my wife hates it and I’m not too enthusiastic. 4 out of 10 Virgin.

martinianpaul
Superfast

If you browse through this forum you'll see we've all raised these points many times. Essentially the new platform is an immature product, and still being tested and updated.  VM tell us they have a long list of issues and customer requirements that they are working through. 

It'll be quite some time before the 360 platform is anywhere near the maturity of the Tivo one.