cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to fast forward on E4

jcolton
Tuning in

Hi,

In the last few days, if we start a program late on E4 then when we try and fast forward we get:

Sorry this channel doesn't let you do that

Any tips?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21

So if we record and watch after it won't happen, if we are tapping on "start from beginning" or whatever whilst it is still airing that is the issue?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ernie_C wrote:

1. Don’t turn up late for a program.

2. Record record record.

Absolutely concur with this, and I did wonder about startover.

One thing Ernie - on the V6 you have the "info" panel to check the channels that all 6 tuners are on for the purposes of live buffering. Last time I asked, that's not available on 360, however, this begs two questions for me....

1: Are any non-recording tuners "live" and continually buffering? Or are they quiet a'la TiVo? This is probably the one software difference between TiVo & V6.

2: If you're watching a channel live, that's also a restart channel - does the live buffer override the restart facility?

Edited to reply to the crossed post from the OP - that's correct. If you're watching a recorded programme, you're not using startover.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@japitts wrote:

@Ernie_C wrote:

1. Don’t turn up late for a program.

2. Record record record.

Absolutely concur with this, and I did wonder about startover.

One thing Ernie - on the V6 you have the "info" panel to check the channels that all 6 tuners are on for the purposes of live buffering. Last time I asked, that's not available on 360, however, this begs two questions for me....

1: Are any non-recording tuners "live" and continually buffering? Or are they quiet a'la TiVo? This is probably the one software difference between TiVo & V6.

No you still can't switch between channels and have your own catch-up like you could with V6 / TiVo. 

2: If you're watching a channel live, that's also a restart channel - does the live buffer override the restart facility?

Yes. if you start watching a startover programme and select watch live it's just like watching any other programme, you can rewind to where you started watching and fast forward to where the programme currently is up to.

Edited to reply to the crossed post from the OP - that's correct. If you're watching a recorded programme, you're not using startover.

So the question then is the program we were watching we were also recording, is there a way to watch the "live" recording versus using the startover or does startover always take preference if it is still airing?

roy247
Community elder

Yes just go to your saved recordings and start watching the programme from there.

Great thanks.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think all questions have been answered.

All Startover channels behave like all other channels on TV 360 until Startover is invoked.

There is no channel buffering on TV 360, except by pause on the current live channel.

You can swap between the current and previous channel but I believe that any buffering is not preserved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jcolton wrote:

Hi,

In the last few days, if we start a program late on E4 then when we try and fast forward we get:

Sorry this channel doesn't let you do that

Any tips?

thanks

This doesn't seem right to me. I have tested this on E4 and can pause a programme, then fast-forward to any point back up to the live broadcast.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pausing is effectively creating a recording. It's different to "live restart".

If you switch to any channel on your 360 (or a V6), you start buffering that channel to the HDD which you can then pause/fast-forward/rewind within what is effectively a recording.

Live restart allows you to watch a programme from the start even if you turned to that channel only partway through it. However, it only works on selected channels - pausing and rewinding will work on all channels, as it's your hard drive being used.

Unable to fast forward on E4, This happens for me on all channel four stations, very irritating....