cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD not supported

Mikeyw2000
On our wavelength

Hi all.

just got Virgin media installed today to go with my new LG oled 4K tv. I’ve got the ultimate volt bundle so it includes the UHD sky movies.

im a bit confused as to why I’m getting this message about “uhd not supported”when I try and watch a sky movie in uhd. 

Im not sure where I can enable ultra HD like it suggests? Any ideas?

28 REPLIES 28

Yea I’m reading lots, but not really getting anywhere.

all software up to date

I have a LG C1 OLED and when I got it there was an issue but a software update that was released at the end of November sorted this problem right away.

What software version is your TV on?

Have your tried a different HDMI cable?

I haven’t changed the hdmi cable yet. It’s not easily accessible, and I’m worried that I won’t be able to get a new one in without taking it off the wall and I don’t have anyone able to help at the moment so that test will have to wait.

my understanding is the HDMI cables really shouldn’t stop this from working, but just potentially lower the speed. I’ve got a 2.1 hdmi cable to try though in due course.

the virgin ultra HD channel works, but judging from the menus when I click on info, it’s only coming through as HD

Hi Mikeyw2000,

I have a new C1 same version software as you and get 4K, I would say try the LG cable test but it say's my cable is NG so the test may not be reliable with the 360 box.

Are you connected 360 directly to the TV or through a soundbar, if directly to the TV try a different cable.

Mikeyw2000
On our wavelength

Hi @roy247,

cable test comes back ok.

I’ve got a sound bar connected to my tv on hdmi 2 (and the arc on the sound bar) and the virgin box is on hdmi 1.

the sound bar functions correctly. I’ve tried with the sound bar disconnected too.

the new cable is the final test I guess. Annoying as I could pull the old one out, just not sure if I’ll be able to connect the new one as it’s mounted v close to the wall.

Hi Mikey,

How old is the HDMI cable because a V1.4 should give you a 4K connection, a high speed cable is recommended, is it a 'long' hdmi cable.

As your cable passed the test which cable is it.

Roy

Mikeyw2000
On our wavelength

@roy247

It’s an Amazon basics one from 2011, “AmazonBasics 2M Dual-Shielded High Speed HDMI Cable ” according to the receipt. Can’t see any more detail though . 

It was already in situ and not straightforward to change “cleanly” so hoped it would be ok.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are going to need a new cable 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Mikey,

Does look like you need a new cable, go for a certified Ultra High Speed V2.1 then it should be ok for your next 8K TV, hopefully. 

Roy

Mikeyw2000
On our wavelength

Bit of a shock today. 

I was just about to change the cable, thought I’d flick on to the uhd channels to check I got the same message. And nothing!

checked the video settings, and 4K is now an option! 

I literally have done nothing since last weekend.