cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv cable

JamesandlauraH
Joining in

We have just moved into a new home which has virgin internet and broadband. We’ve set the broadband up find but can’t connect the tv because the broadband box needs to go in a different room to the tv. Can I get and extended cable to run from the broadband box to the tv box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JamesandlauraH

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your coax cable but I am more than happy to get this looked into.

I have decided to book you a technician so they can get this sorted for you and will PM you the details. 

I have also written on the notes what the issue is so the engineer will know what to do before they come to yours. 

Please look for the purple envelope at the top right hand corner of your screen as this will be where the PM's are 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, you will need a manned install. You can't modify any of the VM cabling yourself as it forms part of the VM network

Thanks for the reply. I’ve just spoken to virgin and they say all I need to do is buy a coax extension cable and run it from the router to the set top box. 

cheers

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JamesandlauraH wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I’ve just spoken to virgin and they say all I need to do is buy a coax extension cable and run it from the router to the set top box.

Sounds (at best) confused, potentially plain wrong.

Your VM TV box needs 2 connections.. 1: Coax cable feed carrying the live TV channels, 2: An internet connection for OnDemand, streaming & TV Guide updates. This is via your homehub and can be (ideally) Ethernet or by WiFi.

Your router also needs the inbound coax feed, that's what carries the broadband. Your TV is then connected to the STB via HDMI.

Coax cables should only be provided by, installed by, and maintained by, Virgin Media. HDMI & Ethernet cables can absolutely be done yourself.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JamesandlauraH

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your coax cable but I am more than happy to get this looked into.

I have decided to book you a technician so they can get this sorted for you and will PM you the details. 

I have also written on the notes what the issue is so the engineer will know what to do before they come to yours. 

Please look for the purple envelope at the top right hand corner of your screen as this will be where the PM's are 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide