cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo360 keeps freezing then rebooting

Kentrainbuff
Dialled in

My Tivo360 main box has started freezing when either viewing live TV, Youtube or a recorded programme. It then ignores remote commands except power standby which causes it to reboot. It can take ages to come back and may flah up "Please Wait" and Virgin logo several times before settling down again. 

Anything I can do or is it a case of ringing 150 and getting an engineer or replacement box? Will we also need to swap Tivo360 slave box which does not suffer problem except for when playing recordings from the main box.

Does Virgin know about this type of problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

In the interest of keeping the thread updated - I've done more digging this morning and found this information related to the issue:

"We’ve identified an issue with setting new recordings from the 360 Mini box. We’re working to fix this as quickly as we can.

Until we do you will need to set any new recordings from your main 360 box.

You can continue to watch existing recordings on your 360 Mini box as normal."

Apologies for any delay with the fix, but rest assured the teams are aware of the problem and will have it rectified with updates.

Tom 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, there's no such thing as a TiVo360 - Virgin supply 3 types of boxes that are pictured on this page - my guess would be you have a V6 that's been converted to a 360 and is therefore now a 360. Can you confirm?

Regardless of that, any TV box that's restarting like this is clearly faulty. VM staff respond on these boards, but you may be waiting a couple of days - so calling in could well be quicker. You are likely to need a tech visit with a view to your box being replaced.

If your multiroom box is only having problems when streaming from the main box, then I don't see any reason for that needing to be replaced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I used to have two TivoV6 and was then offered an upgrade to a new Tivo with new features, i bit the offer. Big mistake. The two V6 boxes were independant recorders that could share playback.

The new Tivo box has main recorder and smaller slave which does not hold recordings, just plays them from other box. This was a loss of recording flexibility and reliability.

Then so many features on the V6 were and to some degree are still missing. Granted there are some nice features but it was painful getting here.

It was sold to me as a Tivo360 pairing but whatever it is called now it waz a painfull upgrade.

These boxes are by Humax I believe

I will ring 150

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just by means of terminology then, and this is as much for others reading this post as the OP. The link I posted in my previous response has photos of the different boxes to assist with "common parlance"

This sounds like 2 x V6 boxes were swapped out for 1 x 360 master, and 1 x 360 mini. Alarm bells ring there, because both boxes would have been quite capable of being converted from TiVo-software to Horizon/360-software - and at least retain the additional hard drive space. It wouldn't alter the differences in recording functionality, but at least both boxes would have usable hard drives.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to help you but your box certainly sounds like it has a fault somewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

@japitts wrote:

This sounds like 2 x V6 boxes were swapped out for 1 x 360 master, and 1 x 360 mini. Alarm bells ring there, because both boxes would have been quite capable of being converted from TiVo-software to Horizon/360-software - and at least retain the additional hard drive space. It wouldn't alter the differences in recording functionality, but at least both boxes would have usable hard drives.

Depending when OP ' upgraded ' the only option initially was to swap boxes the software upgrade only became available sometime later. The marketing BS I received made it sound like the mini could be moved as there was so much emphasis on the you can watch TV anywhere but there was no difference to the you can watch TV anywhere you had before. The mini seemed to be an equivalent to the sky mini. With hindsight I would have kept the 2 V6 boxes.

I agree, no option but to swap out. I would love to have my V6 boxes back with or without software upgrade. It has been a very painful process getting adjusted to the new style of working.

Still miss the ability to manage series recordings, play at one and half times with sound, the additional info about programme series etc etc.

Can I insist on getting two V6 boxes with 360 SW (i understand the original Tivo agreement with Virgin has expired, hence the "upgrade" to the 360 format.

@Kentrainbuff wrote:

Can I insist on getting two V6 boxes with 360 SW (i understand the original Tivo agreement with Virgin has expired, hence the "upgrade" to the 360 format.

Unfortunately they won't swap the mini for one with hard drive unless things have changed since I asked, that was last year though.

As far as I know the Tivo agreement hasn't run out or I assume everyone would have been rolled onto Horizon software and that is not the case. There has been various dates thrown into the ring but I guess only Virgin will know the truth and also if there is any rollover plan that is financially beneficial to both parties.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kentrainbuff wrote:

The TiVo licence agreement has precisely nothing to do with which box you'll be replaced with. VM staff on this board have also confirmed that there is no licence expiring this year or next. Migrations from TiVo > 360 software remain entirely voluntary at this time.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kentrainbuff, thanks for your post. 

Sorry about the issues you've had with your TV service. In case this is something you still need help with I'll get in touch via PM - just look out for the purple envelope icon and we'll take it from there.

Tom

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me so we can arrange an engineer visit @Kentrainbuff. You will find confirmation of the appointment via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed. 

Please keep us updated with how you get on, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Tom