cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV360 in different room to wall socket

DRT2
Joining in

My wall socket is in a room on the other side of my apartment to the TV set. Can someone help me with the options to get the box (or mini box, as I will have one of those) connected to my TV? Moving the wall socket is not an option.

8 REPLIES 8

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your options are:

1. Long HDMI cable;

2. Get Virgin Media to move the wall socket, at a current, reduced charge of £25.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. No way to plug main box into wall socket then have multi-room mini box in TV room? 

TV 360 Mini boxes other than for recordings, are independent and require their own coax cable connection.

Your best bet is to have a engineer out to fit another connection point in the room the Mini is being located to. 

———————————————————-
Ultimate Oomph Customer Since 2021, Virgin TV 360 (x1 Main & x2 Mini), Gig1 (Hub 4) + Netflix add-on

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DRT2 wrote:

Thanks. No way to plug main box into wall socket then have multi-room mini box in TV room? 

No.

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections..

1: Co-ax cable which carries live TV signals

2: Internet, via your home-hub, for OnDemand & streaming.

The only difference between a mini-box and every other 360 or V6 box is the lack of a hard drive. The connection requirements are identical, and Ernie has advised correctly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

If you decide to run a long HDMI cable you can surely run a long coaxial cable, so for a mere £25 get the wall socket relocated. Furthermore you can have the 360 and the hub near each other and so a short Ethernet cable is all you need to connect them.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

CM23Dave
Joining in
I had this issue but decided to continue without the Coax connection. Recorded programs and streaming works well via Wi-Fi. Although you can't watch live programs, you can start recording and then immediately start watching the recording. Not ideal but better than running cables outside the house and only a few seconds delay.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CM23Dave wrote:
Although you can't watch live programs, you can start recording and then immediately start watching the recording.

Only by multi-room streaming to another box that does have the co-ax feed. No co-ax means no live TV, and that means no recordings.

You might well also find the box will fail to complete the reboot cycle without the co-ax connection being present.

Thanks for your post @DRT2,

Do feel free to come back to us if you require the wall socket to be moved, and we can have this arranged for you.

This is a flat fee of £25.00 currently

Kindest regards,

David_Bn