cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV360 box keeps losing connection to the hub

Badblood
Tuning in

Hi everybody,

I have a newly installed VM Broadband setup. TV is fine, Hub 3 works nicely and I am using Powerline adapters to distribute both wired and WiFi connections around the house.

Seemingly rock solid 320Mb/s download speeds with uploads of >30 Mb/s.

TV works fine but anything on the 360 box that requires internet (catch up, recordings, guide) is very hit and miss. Constantly getting error messages that the service is unavailable.

Guide is often empty. Home produces an empty menu. Then it will be fine.

Often time using the remote will not work and then suddenly the box will spring to life and run through 5 or six items.

Box is connected to the hub by wired ethernet and I substituted the supplied RJ45 wire for a known good one of my own (I work in IT).

When it works it is great but often doesn't. Diagnostics often tell me that the hub is not connected to the Internet (which is wrong) or that the box has a slow connection. If I come out and go back in to Diagnostics, it is fine. Is this software related or the h/w in the box itself?

.TV Go app works on the phone but if I want to watch on the TV it tells me the Virgin TV box is off (which it isn't).

I can get most of the services via my TV directly but for those channels only on the TV box I am missing out.

In theory the kit is awesome but in practice, sigh... Anyone got any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

awmaines
Dialled in

I’ve had similar problems with TP-Link power line adapters.  One thing you could check is are the adapters configured to go into power saving mode, if so try turning this off.

Thanks for the reply. I would be surprised if it were the powerline adapters. The TV box is wired directly to the Hub but I will check it out.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Badblood 

My remote sometimes freezes, however if I wiggle it a couple of times it resumes working again.

Also if the remote appears to have stopped working make sure the the power saving mode setting is on Fast Start.

This may link in with the TVGO app thinking your box is offline.

Go to Settings > System > Standby power consumption. You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.
The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it

Have you tried rebooting the TV360 to see if that improves matters?

You could also perform a 'factory reset' 

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset.
It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

With the 360 selecting Choose Keep Recordings means you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have the box on Fast Start.

Actually turned the box on and off last night and lo and behold the TV Go app connected!

The info about the Factory Reset is useful. I will try that.

I am fairly sure that there is some kind of issue with the TV box itself and that the Hub/Network is not actually involved. I am running dome network monitoring to see if the network is actually dropping and it is just that the box is very sensitive. Doesn't look like the connection is dropping at all though.

Hi @Badbllood thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Please do keep us updated on how things go.  We can take a look into this if you need us to.

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks for the suggestions. I noticed that the IP address was 192.168.0.10 and that there was no way to change it. I also noticed that the served range of the DHCP on the router started at 192.168.0.10.

Changed the served address range to start at .11 and then did a Factory Reset.

IP address is now .37 and everything seems fine.

Seems like the router could not properly interact with the TV box. Odd but clashes in IP addresses are horrible.

Been working well for two days.

Odd initial setup though. Lucky I am comfortable with IP networks or I would never have thought to look at this.

Thanks for all the help.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Badblood

Thank you for the update 🙂 I am glad it is all working for you now.

Have a nice day.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide