cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV service unusable

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

About a month ago, the TV screen would occasionally go black for a half second to a second, then the picture would reappear.  Then one night this became much more prevalent, though intermittent – for a while the picture would be OK, then these black dropouts would start appearing, varying in duration from a split second to 7-8 seconds, and varying in frequency from once or twice a minute to every few seconds. This happened only on feeds from the Virgin TV box, whether live TV or one of the streaming services.  It did not happen with other devices connected to the TV – a TV picture from an Amazon fire stick plugged into the same HDMI port did not suffer from this problem.

On researching online, I removed power from the TV box, waited 30 seconds, then powered back on.  The TV then worked fine

Tonight, the problem started again, and the periods of blackout were longer than the periods of TV service.  However, unlike a month ago, removing power from the TV box for 30 did NOT resolve the issue, so my Virgin TV service remains completely unwatchable.

The broadband service is fine.

NB Virgin reported that they were working in my area last Friday.

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

Is this on everything, live TV, Recordings, and OnDemand.

If you have tried a known good HDMI cable and different HDMI connector on the TV then it's looking like a faulty box, you could try a factory reset, just select the option to keep your recordings, if it continues to do the same then you need to call Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone to report a fault, or wait for a forum team member to pick this up which maybe a couple of days.

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

How do I do a factory reset on the TV box?  Do I need to find it’s local IP address and connect to its web interface? Couldn’t find anything in the various Virgin iPhone apps

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

Sorry- yes this is on live, apps, home page, everything.  I tried swapping the HDMI cable too

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

OK did factory reset from remote control - makes no difference.  Will report to Virgin

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @BrynClarke,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've had some ongoing issues with your TV services and are unable to use your TV box.

I understand that you've tried to carry out a TV box reset which did not help resolve your issues. I have been able to take a look at your systems and I can see that you've been able to discuss this issue further with our team.

Can you please confirm if your issue is now resolved, or do you need more support on this? Keep us updated so we can help if needed.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Pauline

Three weeks ago, via your Customer Support, I was put in touch with your technical team, who sent me a new TV box.  This resolved the issues instantly (well... after I'd set up my iPlayer.Netflix etc accounts again)..  Everything has been fine since until tonight (apart from very minor issue i posted separately).  But tonight the problem reappeared.  Screen keeps blacking out, only on input from Virgin box.  Fault is intermittent - not happening at thos moment - but running Virgin TV test reports tht TV box is online but "may not be working properly".  What is going on?  I will try brand new HDMI cable and post again in few days.  I can use Amazon service in meantime.

Thanks for coming back to us @BrynClarke and I'm sorry that the fault has reoccurred for you.

Have you been able to try a different HDMI cable and also, please could you also try a different HDMI port on your TV?

Please let us know, what happened when you tried this?

Regards,

Steven_L