cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 390 network and phone connection

westindieman
On our wavelength

I have been switched from the Tivo and older broadband hub to the TV 360 box and latest hub, was surprised to see its all connected differently. I previuosly used my Tivo in modem mode with a TP Link router, the Tivo box was connected by ethernet to the TP Link router. Also my phone was originally connected to a virgin installed phone socket. Ive found that when I connected the TV 360 box the same way it kept saying I wasnt connected and I had to eventually connect it directly to the Hub after turning off modem mode. Is there a reason it wouldnt recogise the second router connection?

Secondly, the phone also wouldnt work when connected to the phone old connector on the wall. I had to directly connect to the hub temporarily as I cannot place the phone or Hub in their previous locations due to the conectivity issues.

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@westindieman wrote:

I previuosly used my Tivo in modem mode with a TP Link router, the Tivo box was connected by ethernet to the TP Link router.

A TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection and the Ethernet is only for multi-room streaming of recorded programmes, not the internet.

V6 & 360 (which are the same hardware, just different software) don't have an in-built modem and rely on a connection via the home-hub for the internet.

You can either use the hub as a combined router/modem and connect the 360 directly, or put the hub in modem mode and connect your devices to your own router.

As regards your landline, VM are moving to VoIP-based landlines which connect using the sockets on the back of the hubs, rather than the traditional wall-sockets. It sounds like you've been moved across now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks very much for your reply and you have explained why the phone has to be connected to the hub, I will run an extension from the hub to where I want the phone to be. I'm still only partly clear on what you say about the internet connection with the TV box. If I use the hub in modem mode there is no way of connecting the TV box to the internet?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you use your hub in modem mode you just need to connect any Internet-based device to your router. That device can be your TV box, laptop, tablet, etc.

So your setup will be 360 <---> router <---> modem <---> internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks but when I connected the TV box to the router it wasn't recognising the connection though all other devices do, that was both TV boxes (I have 2 boxes). I may give it another try.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In what way was the 360 not recognising the connection? Can you give some details of what's not co-operating and perhaps other users may be able to help.

Its kept saying check your cables and connections

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The set top box also needs connecting to the white coaxial cable.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes I know, and that is connected. Normal TV worked but from the router connection the internet wasn't connecting even when swapping the ethernet from a device that was connecting. I will check it again as I do prefer to use my router.

Hi westindieman

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the confusion over the connections. Have you been able to sort this out following the community advice? Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill