cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 found new device to pair with your remote - stop the nagging?

arnie_oli
Up to speed

Our 360 keeps nagging us to tell us it's found a new device it can pair with our remote. It gives a popup top right with the options of pair or dismiss.

The TV is paired with the remote and everything else works just fine. How to you stop it popping up this nag screen each time?

89 REPLIES 89

Haha good luck!

this has been an issue for months and they don’t care!

some virgin_forum team member will reply asking if you have tried to reset the box, then they won’t reply ever again!

sorry you’ve wasted your time posting on this forum - virgin have done, and will do nothing. 

it’s a disgrace!

Hi davidanderson75,

Not everyone gets this message repeatedly, as you have recently joined Virgin, what TV and soundbar do you have, also have you paired any connected equipment, sometimes the 360 will automatically pair. Recently got a new TV and received the same message when the new TV was connected, went to settings and it was already paired.

It's a Phillips TV but no soundbar.  I was hoping to find a way to stop the box from pairing at all and just use the Phillips TV remote to control the volume but after reading through different threads about this issue I don't have much hope.

At the moment does it control your TV volume, have you tried pairing the remote in Settings,  Audio and Video, Pair remote with devices, and then setting Volume keys control ? 

roy247
Community elder

Hi LewisEdgar,

I have read the thread and know it was suggested back in April that there should be an option to turn this 'feature' off which for some people would be a good idea. It may well be a bug in the software that conflicts with the way the HDMI handshakes between the 360 and certain TV's and Soundbars but clearly not all TV's and Soundbars.

I am not taking Virgin's side but it may be they do have a problem with replicating the problem I have just connected my main box to a LG C1 and LG soundbar and don't have the problem, previously the main box was connected to a Samsung TV and Sony amp for 16 months without having this problem, my mini box was connected to a Sony TV and Yamaha soundbar for 16 months without this problem and my Samsung TV that was connected to the main box is now connected to my Yamaha soundbar and mini box without this problem.

As it doesn't cause problems for everyone the easiest option would be the one that was suggested last April which would be to have an option to turn off the 'feature' or whatever you want to call it.

I think I have fixed this issue through the settings in my TV.  I have turned off the "EasyLink" setting on the Phillips TV settings which turns off the CEC function and I haven't had the message since last night.  Fingers crossed anyway.  I'm not sure how this would work on other TVs however.

Hi fellow sufferers.. just read the whole thread.. wasn’t difficult so unsure why the VM bods find it such a challenge? 
I have the same message top right, though only the advisory one, not the one with any attached options to dismiss etc.

I’ve tried all the advisory ‘fixes’ that don’t fix, so no pointless messages from Virgin waste of timers please, just go about your day to day business of playing with your phones all day please.

Sadly, no I think it’s more ‘disgracefully’, this is the real world of large corporations being morally bankrupt and not giving a monkeys [removed] about its customers. Nothing will be done, of which the cure seems to be only a simple software program patch, which would take a fairly handy software engineer about 30-40 to script, maybe a further hour to embed in the next update, then bobs your mothers sister!!

So, at this point I’ll state I’m ditching this [removed] and having my Sky re-install on Wednesday.. they’re not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but on a different level to Mr Bransons [removed]

Hope they manage to sort the little glitch out (as that’s all it is).. if not, Skys got a few spaces left!!

Good luck

nb. I’m on version 4.36.. so before they try anymore [removed] about updates.. this is the latest!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

I'm sure people have given up on this given its a fairly old topic but the title is very confusing as this has NOTHING to do with PAIRING and any Virgin member of staff who tells you that needs to be shot.

This is an HDMI linking issue and could be caused by one of several common reasons.

1. Your HDMI on the CONNECTED device (TV, Soundbar, Amp etc) is pre-HDMI version 1.4
  2. Your CABLE connecting the two devices is pre-HDMI version 1.4 (sometimes a high quality, many $$$$, HDMI 1.3 cable will work)
  3. There is a conflict of HDMI versions across ALL devices (some on HDMI 1.3 or earlier while some are on HDMI 1.4 or later)

I can offer a few suggestions on what you need to check / do to try and resolve your issues(s) but I don't want to put suggestions here as they can be quite confusing especially if you're not quite sure what you're doing, so I'd rather do that via PM.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited

I am now having the opposite problem.

I have just upgraded my V6 box to 360 and the remote has paired with the box no problem but when I go to settings to pair with my TV or surround system it's shows a screen that says "scanning for devices" and doesn't do anything else. I've literally left it for over 20 mins.... Nothing. 

My V6 remote controlled the TV and surround amp with no issues.

🤬🤬🤬

Please see my previous post, #88 in this thread.

Your old V6 remote controlled your set-top box AND TV via IR (infrared) whereas your new remote controls your set-top box via BT (bluetooth) but other devices (which must be correctly attached to you set-top box) VIA HDMI, and a compatible version at that, ideally HDMI version 1.4+.

I suspect your TV is connected either via an older version of HDMI or maybe even SCART (although not sure if the 360 supports SCART) or even component (YPbPr) cabling.

These are only my views; I've given them to try and assist but if anyone finds fault with my posting then please let me know.

Please excuse misspellings and anything which may not make sense or offend as the medication I take can sometimes have an adverse effect on me.

Chris (VMO2 Customer)
Ultimate Volt: ACTIVE
TV: Maxit TV
Broadband: Volt V650 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Talk More Anytime
Mobile: O2 Unlimited