cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 Upgrading??

tc472
On our wavelength

My daughter recently moved out and obviously I now have a "Man Cave".

Toying with the idea of upgrading to TV 360 for the second box but worried the set up required, I fall short.

I believe its wifi enabled and other than a plug point is anything else needed (and yes...a TV)?

Is it a simple case of power and wifi and thats all?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

tc472
On our wavelength
Never mind...just found out I need to be connected by coax cable.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi tc472,

You need a coaxial point in the room you are wanting to put the second box in. This will require an engineer visit.

The coaxial carries the TV channels. The box will work with either wifi or an ethernet connection.

Both the V6 and the 360 boxes require broadband from Virgin Media.

Do you already have a TV360 box, or do you currently have a TIVO or V6?

The TV360 uses the Horizon software unlike the other two which run on the TIVO software. You can't mix the boxes they all need to be on the same software.

The 360 is a newer box but has a lot of teh function of the TIVO/360 missing, and if you don't like the new interface yuo can't revert back.

The following thread explains some of the differences 360-Features-v-TIVO-Features 

Also the TV360 help page and FAQ's 

Have a think about the pro's and con's of the different boxes then call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

tc472
On our wavelength

Hi newapollo,

Thanks for this.

Currently have the V6 box and yes, I have Virgin broadband.

Regarding the coax cable, I assume the eng would do all the necessary installing this? However...do you know if there are any restrictions with distance? My cable feed comes in my livingroom and the front of the house and I'd like the 2nd box upstairs at the back of the house.

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again tc472,

That shouldn't be a problem.

If it's at all possible with your property the engineer can run the cabling for the second box externally, and then into the bedroom at the back of the house. 

If that's not practicle the engineer would run the additional cabling internally.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

tc472
On our wavelength

Excellent.

Thanks for your help.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add, both the TiVo/V6 platform, and 360, both support multi-room boxes and have the same connectivity requirements in terms of co-ax & internet.

One major difference is that 360 multi-room boxes are minis without hard drives - all recording is via streaming from the master box.

V6 additional boxes are fully functional second boxes with hard drives and the ability to multi-room stream in both directions.

For that reason alone, I would strongly recommend installing multi-room as a V6. If you decide to convert to 360 afterwards, you can do so whilst retaining the additional storage that you won't otherwise have. Or keep them both as V6 - your choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It has been mentioned - if you have a V6 box already the second box will have to be a V6. Or if you want TV360 - then both boxes have to be TV360.

I still would not call it an upgrade as the V6 still has many more functions over the 360.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

tc472
On our wavelength

Thanks ozsat,

I'd need the second box to be wifi enabled and I see the V6 has this.

Not sure I need the second box to have so much functionality, can I just get a mini box instead of a second V6?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tc472 wrote:

Not sure I need the second box to have so much functionality, can I just get a mini box instead of a second V6?

No, it doesn't work that way. Your second box is fully functional. Whether you use any given facilities are your choice. Better to have the hard drive than not - what functionality do you not feel the need for?

Many people with additional 360-minis would much prefer the hard drive option and the extra storage it gives you - it's a limitation of 360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks