cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 - A Step Backwards

Libanese
Dialled in

I've now had the TV 360 for a week and a half and, although there are a couple of good things, such as voice control, too many things are just a step backwards from Tivo 6 -

1. No quick TV guide available, just the full guide or single channel display at the bottom of the screen
2. Features that used to be one or two button presses away now need 4 or 5 presses. Accessing recordings being a case in point
3. Not being able to specify new recordings only. After 10 days, my hard drive (single, see next point) is 23% full, mainly with repeats I didn't want after setting up series links
4. On that note, my storage space has been reduced by half, thanks to there being no drive in the mini box
5. Not being able to pause live TV on the mini box for more than 2 minutes. Then, once it starts playing, you can't pause again until you've caught up to Live TV. I mean, what is the point of that?
6. No quick access to programme info. Even when you do access it, you get a full screen promo image which completely covers what it is you're watching
7. With Tivo 6, after rewinding it was easy to go straight back to Live TV by pressing the Stop button. With 360, you have to fast forward until it tells you you're watching Live TV
8. Speaking of the remote, the shapes and textures for main buttons are nowhere near pronounced enough. It's almost impossible to use without looking directly at it

Before answering, assuming you are so inclined, please consider this. I do not accept "it's early days" as an excuse. The software is v4.26, which implies it's been through 3 major revisions and dozens of sub-versions. Basically, it should be much better than it is. I don't see Virgin reducing my monthly cost if they are considering me a beta tester. I also don't see them reducing the cost after giving me a botch job of a second box when I had 2 fully functioning Tivo 6 boxes up to last week.

I suppose I should expect Virgin to have made a pig's ear of it, just like they always do, but I thought that, maybe this time, they had it right. I should have known better

185 REPLIES 185

@newapollo wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

....anyone have any thoughts on this :

deans6571_0-1614943155638.png

What are the best settings for the 360 on a 4K tv?

There are 5 settings. for HDMI resolution:-  4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p and 576p.

...are you sure that's correct??

This post, on AV Forums, suggests there are only 2 settings: 4K and Automatic:

deans6571_0-1614944476067.png

Virgin 360 | Page 4 | AVForums

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@deans6571 wrote:.

I forgot about the Automatic option. Apologies for the poor quality of the photos, I have a broken arm and can't work my phone camera properly

Clipboard.jpgClipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:.

I forgot about the Automatic option. Apologies for the poor quality of the photos, I have a broken arm and can't work my phone camera properly

Clipboard.jpgClipboard01.jpg

...ok - but there is a difference.

On the old V6 you could select multiple resolutions (so you could select 1080i, 1080p, 720p, etc, etc) but, on the 360, you can ONLY select one single resolution.

😉

Are you on version 4.3 or have you paid for the UHD upgrade, or both?
I am on 4.29 and my boxes do not have the 4K option showing !

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tractorboy wrote:

I'm still on version  4.29, but have paid for the upgrade to Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra UHD

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

....so hold on - does the 4K option ONLY show if you have paid for an opted for Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra UHD ??

This makes no sense?! What about those of us who do NOT want Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra UHD but still want to watch VM's own UHD channel - we still need to be able to select 4K in the settings?!

Deans6571 - I have Sky Cinema UHD now but I did have the 4k option, on the list, when I did not have Sky Cinema UHD, so it should be an option for everyone (in my opinion) 

Hi All 

I think the v360 only has this setting as it  (tries) to upscale to this level or as near as...

Cheers

Kickoverthestatues

@Tractorboy wrote:

As far as I know 4K only shows if you have a 4K TV it shows the maximum native resolution of the TV.

Hi All

from what i understand 4K content will not play when the setting is at 1080i. There is a thread on the new UHD Cinema channels and the behaviour of the box. This though i suspect also applies to the existing 2 UHD channels, Virgin and BT Sport Ultimate and of course the 4K content in the apps.

Again you have automatic, which is a recent addition from what i remember was not there before Christmas when tv360 first came out

I wasnt aware of the 4K only appearing if you have a 4k TV as ive had 4K for 6 years now.

I would assume the Automatic is like a passthrough of the definition at source and so the box does not upscale, like the v6 when you select all resolutions. ...or perhaps it upscales according to the connected TV resolution?

I have upgraded to the Cinema UHD and my software version is 4.29

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile