cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 - A Step Backwards

Libanese
Dialled in

I've now had the TV 360 for a week and a half and, although there are a couple of good things, such as voice control, too many things are just a step backwards from Tivo 6 -

1. No quick TV guide available, just the full guide or single channel display at the bottom of the screen
2. Features that used to be one or two button presses away now need 4 or 5 presses. Accessing recordings being a case in point
3. Not being able to specify new recordings only. After 10 days, my hard drive (single, see next point) is 23% full, mainly with repeats I didn't want after setting up series links
4. On that note, my storage space has been reduced by half, thanks to there being no drive in the mini box
5. Not being able to pause live TV on the mini box for more than 2 minutes. Then, once it starts playing, you can't pause again until you've caught up to Live TV. I mean, what is the point of that?
6. No quick access to programme info. Even when you do access it, you get a full screen promo image which completely covers what it is you're watching
7. With Tivo 6, after rewinding it was easy to go straight back to Live TV by pressing the Stop button. With 360, you have to fast forward until it tells you you're watching Live TV
8. Speaking of the remote, the shapes and textures for main buttons are nowhere near pronounced enough. It's almost impossible to use without looking directly at it

Before answering, assuming you are so inclined, please consider this. I do not accept "it's early days" as an excuse. The software is v4.26, which implies it's been through 3 major revisions and dozens of sub-versions. Basically, it should be much better than it is. I don't see Virgin reducing my monthly cost if they are considering me a beta tester. I also don't see them reducing the cost after giving me a botch job of a second box when I had 2 fully functioning Tivo 6 boxes up to last week.

I suppose I should expect Virgin to have made a pig's ear of it, just like they always do, but I thought that, maybe this time, they had it right. I should have known better

185 REPLIES 185

@deans6571 wrote:

.....have to say that watching this lengthy review of the 360 on YouTube, it doesn't look too bad :

https://youtu.be/TEKXTXLlphM 

It will just be a shame to lose the current functionality of the V6.

I won't disagree, its a nice looking interface (though needs a bit of tweaking as it overlaps edge of screens) and it operates quite smoothly, I've had a couple of glitches where its froze up completely, this also affected recordings in the background but I have no doubt it will be a nice TV OS use in future once developed.

But also remember that with 360 comes 306 mini, so multi room customers lose out, 360 mini has no recording ability and relies on the host 360 to record for it, it has a tiny live pause buffer which is odd decision, I would expect the 360 mini to connect using WLAN/LAN to host for live tv and all features really but different call with Virgin compared to their European brands.

The Giggitty 1

Latest 360 update seems pointless and does nothing to fix any issues . I will know my batteries have gone when my remote won’t work 

Does the 360 not have the basic Series Link function then (the ability to record a whole series of programs by highlighting the program on the EPG and then pressing the record button on the remote and then selecting 'Series Link') ?

Yes it does have the basic series link function, it will record upwards from the series you start at, if you start at series 3 it will also record 4 and 5 etc, what you cannot set is new only recordings so if you delete an episode and it is repeated then it will record it again.

Why does it record series 1-7 when I selected to record series 7 of something

The Giggitty 1

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

NEVER seen that. Do you have an example?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'll see what I can rustle up later

The Giggitty 1

Paul621
On our wavelength

I recently renewed my ultimate oomph package and decided l may as well order the 360 and mini box. Whilst waiting for their arrival i thought I'd read people's thoughts on them. After reading this thread l was really in two minds. Anyway the said package arrived 2 360 full size, no mini. I've got to say the tivo6 system is an excellent system but l,m happy l changed. Voice control makes things so quick and easy (had alexa on stuff years but never used it.] l know this threads been rung 3-4 months and a lot of the earlier problems have been ironed out. If ld got the mini-box might not have been so happy. So for me glad I swapped. 

20210203_093441.jpg

It will be interesting to see what, if any, improvement this makes. All I know so far is that the 'urgent' update was intrusive and interrupted a recorded programme that I had paused whilst getting breakfast. Now, since the 360 box has rebooted, I cannot find the episode that I was watching! 🤔🙄

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

@Felim_Doyle wrote:

20210203_093441.jpg

It will be interesting to see what, if any, improvement this makes. All I know so far is that the 'urgent' update was intrusive and interrupted a recorded programme that I had paused whilst getting breakfast. Now, since the 360 box has rebooted, I cannot find the episode that I was watching! 🤔🙄

Just briefly checked and mines also updated. The information states it updates how you manage the series links. Hopefully that's one major flaw resolved. I will check the behaviour when I get a moment 

-------------------------------------------------------------
Services and Equipment;
HUB4
x2 V6 Upgraded to tv360
Vip Volt Gig1 with Sky Cinema and Sports UHD
VM Telly Tablet
VM mobile