cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 - A Step Backwards

Libanese
Dialled in

I've now had the TV 360 for a week and a half and, although there are a couple of good things, such as voice control, too many things are just a step backwards from Tivo 6 -

1. No quick TV guide available, just the full guide or single channel display at the bottom of the screen
2. Features that used to be one or two button presses away now need 4 or 5 presses. Accessing recordings being a case in point
3. Not being able to specify new recordings only. After 10 days, my hard drive (single, see next point) is 23% full, mainly with repeats I didn't want after setting up series links
4. On that note, my storage space has been reduced by half, thanks to there being no drive in the mini box
5. Not being able to pause live TV on the mini box for more than 2 minutes. Then, once it starts playing, you can't pause again until you've caught up to Live TV. I mean, what is the point of that?
6. No quick access to programme info. Even when you do access it, you get a full screen promo image which completely covers what it is you're watching
7. With Tivo 6, after rewinding it was easy to go straight back to Live TV by pressing the Stop button. With 360, you have to fast forward until it tells you you're watching Live TV
8. Speaking of the remote, the shapes and textures for main buttons are nowhere near pronounced enough. It's almost impossible to use without looking directly at it

Before answering, assuming you are so inclined, please consider this. I do not accept "it's early days" as an excuse. The software is v4.26, which implies it's been through 3 major revisions and dozens of sub-versions. Basically, it should be much better than it is. I don't see Virgin reducing my monthly cost if they are considering me a beta tester. I also don't see them reducing the cost after giving me a botch job of a second box when I had 2 fully functioning Tivo 6 boxes up to last week.

I suppose I should expect Virgin to have made a pig's ear of it, just like they always do, but I thought that, maybe this time, they had it right. I should have known better

185 REPLIES 185

V1lad
On our wavelength

Their goal is to have everybody moved over by the end of this year as they no longer want to pay TiVo for their software.

Eventually yes, however the time frame on this is unknown though has been 'implied' above that if within a contract period with 'V6' you shouldn't see the upgrade....

However if your box falls faulty, it will most likely be swapped with 360, I would also imagine this would include needing replacement remotes which will be replaced with a 360 remote and then lead to the upgrade being applied to the V6 box.

As the V6 box runs TiVo software and Liberty Global (Virgin's parent) wants to move to its own software and not be paying out to TiVo for licensing I imagine they will be looking to make these moves ASAP

The only thing to take from this is the older TiVo 500 boxes (fat/wide ones) will not be upgraded 'as far as I'm aware' so will be keeping the TiVo flag flying as long as they are still in homes.

The Giggitty 1

@V1lad wrote:

Their goal is to have everybody moved over by the end of this year

Hmmm, OK news to me but makes sense

The Giggitty 1

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any rumour as to the timing of the demise of the V6, running TiVo software, is a rumour, nothing more.

No information has been provided by Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Ernie_C ,

Just wanted to leave this here https://vmhd.blogspot.com/2020/02/tivo-to-be-replaced-by-horizon-confirmed.html

Virgin Media will soon roll out the company's new user interface, Horizon 4, on its V6 boxes (replacing TiVo)

https://www.lightreading.com/cable-video/liberty-global-sizing-up-partnerships-to-expand-reach-of-vi...

The Giggitty 1

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A year ago, soon is mentioned twice.

As I said, no date has ever been published.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

V1lad
On our wavelength

Obviously not a confirmed source but on page 8 of this thread....

Also during the many conversations with tech support I was told a couple of times that the "upgrade" will become mandatory as Virgin are dropping the Tivo system that costs them about £20,000,000 a year.’

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m not suggesting it won’t happen, it will, but there is no confirmed date.

So customers are to just 'hope' Virgin doesn't ruin there TV experience?

Virgin never confirms a date for anything until its too late, or its about a few days from launch, reality is that 360 is mandatory on new install (which is fine as long as they're not mis-sold TiVo by mistake)

But then technicians (3 in total)  I've spoken to have said the V6 boxes now are barely available across the UK in in my region are said to be out of stock and not expected to be replaced,

This includes replacements for faulty boxes (this also confirmed by a friend who is now ****** because apps he used on the V6 are not available on the V6 and they also like having a browse through the suggested recordings.

There is no argument to be had here, because its been done, as usual equipment and changes being released in beta mode on to the public, and this goes beyond V6/360.... even most recently other services have been impacted by firmware updates and changes and a service was released with the inability to perform headline claims.

The Giggitty 1

.....have to say that watching this lengthy review of the 360 on YouTube, it doesn't look too bad :

https://youtu.be/TEKXTXLlphM?t=1

It will just be a shame to lose the current functionality of the V6.