cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV 360 4:3 Handling

phammond2
On our wavelength

There a three options in 4:3 handling "Full" "Pillar Box" and "Zoom" but non fill the screen as they should on certain programmes on ITV 4 and the Drama channel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Some tv channels broadcast the ratio signal to tell the set-top-box to switch to the correct ratio - others actually broadcast 16:9 all the time but add the bars on the left and right as a part of the picture to the tv - most HD channels do this for 4:3 material.

It will be the later which doesn't change whatever the setting. Because the tv channel says it is 16:9 the box will not change the 4:3 format.

The settings for the correct ratio is 'pillar box' on ther 360.

@phammond2 wrote:

My question was about the correct way way to watch old tv shows but the technical question of why the three picture options are exactly the same and do not alter the size?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

roy247
Community elder

You will probably need to use the TV's picture settings, something like zoom to fill the screen.

phammond2
On our wavelength

Would have to change that everytime?

phammond2
On our wavelength

May as well just watch freeview on normal tv and not pay Virgin for the privilege?  

@phammond2 wrote:

Would have to change that everytime?

Once set on your TV it stays set, but using an option like that just distorts the picture, everything looking out of proportion.

phammond2
On our wavelength

Sorry, That is what I meant, would have to change for 4:3 and change back for 16:9 every time .

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You mentioned Drama channel earlier in the thread - is it on all content from that channel? I ask because many archived programmes shown on that channel may have been produced in 4:3

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@phammond2 wrote:

Sorry, That is what I meant, would have to change for 4:3 and change back for 16:9 every time .

The answer is probably yes, personally I would prefer to watch a 4:3 programme/ film with side bars than watch out of proportion people and cars etc, but then it may depend on the size of your TV and how it effects the image.

Or in other words - you watch those older programmes in 4:3 as you want to watch them in the correct ratio and how they should be watched - rather than 16:9 so the picture is distorted.

As long as it works correctly then all is good.

@roy247 wrote:

@phammond2 wrote:

The answer is probably yes, personally I would prefer to watch a 4:3 programme/ film with side bars than watch out of proportion people and cars etc, but then it may depend on the size of your TV and how it effects the image.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

phammond2
On our wavelength

Not sure if it is all the channels but if I change settings on my TV the adverts become distorted and all the other channels.