cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching From Sky to Virgin Media

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am i doing the right thing switching from Sky to Virgin Media as iv'e been seeing bad reports ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Donald1946, 

Thanks for your post and it's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Usually before we install you, there will be a pre install visit. This is to ensure the cables are there ready to get the services working on your installation date. 

If you're available on this visit, you can chat through your concerns with the routing of the cable with the engineer there and then. The only issue is the pre-install visits are usually done off the cuff so there is no scheduled time and date as such. 

Please let us know how the visit goes and most importantly the installation. If you need any further advice, then pop back here. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

72 REPLIES 72

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

People generally tend not to post on support forums saying "this is really good" or "I don't have any problems", so you're bound to see an un-representative sample of unhappy users around here - it's the nature of the beast!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thrice
Superfast

If it's any help I have had the 360 for more than six months with only a few minor glitches that were soon resolved.

Doudar
Fibre optic

Have been with VM (Telewest) since 2001 and have always had good service. The number of days I have had no broadband can be counted on one hand.

JohnD
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would describe Sky and Virgin as the 'Apple and Android' of the TV world. I was recently in a position to compare Sky Q side-by-side with V360. Both have good points, both have bad - some will favour one and others will favour the other.

I personally prefer V360, but it's far from perfect... though I believe it will get there in time. Sky Q describes itself as 'fluid' viewing, but I think V360 works better.

Though some hate the fact that each Virgin box needs a coax cable connected, I feel this gives Virgin the edge. With Sky, I found the mini box unreliable as both On Demand content and TV broadcasts were reliant on a wifi connection/connection to a main box. With Virgin, the mini is pretty much independent, aside from access to recordings. With each box having their own coax connection for TV broadcasts, I find Virgin to be more 'fluid'.

If you compare Sky and Virgin forums, both have issues, and as above, people only tend to report the negative stuff. Sky Q has a number of ongoing issues, some of which have been present for more than a year (picture and sound drop-outs on some boxes and Sky Q using up A LOT of bandwidth). However, you should remember that Sky Q's launch in 2006 wasn't all positive as people felt it wasn't ready. I've seen similar comments in regard to V360, which only launched in late 2020.

To me, Sky Q's UI looks much more modern, slick and quick. I find the V360 UI a little boring and sometimes lags, but there were rumours the UI is due to change with a full-screen home page etc. Again, I think after a few future updates, V360 will become much more slick and attractive.

Picture quality on Virgin now seems to be far superior to Sky and I prefer the ability to stream content from On Demand, rather than download it on Sky Q.

Overall, I'd choose Virgin, but it's down to individual choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for info i at present use Powerline Adapters to connect around my house no problems at all where i intend to have the Virgin Media hub is at the front of house where the BT line comes in then connect using the Powerline Adapters this was how i conected when i was with BT and all worked fine so hopefully when i get connected on 4th August all will be good with the faster speed.I'm with Sky at the moment just that their speed ain't that good say 59 d/l but never got that 36 was the best.The line speed outside is 40 we will see what happens.

Agi4
On our wavelength
  • I recently moved over from sky Q. Mainly due to cost and poor Internet. The mini box's were almost unwatchable for live TV and recordings due to the main box had some software issue that was flooding the network and showed no signs of getting fixed . So far 360 has been ok  and internet  >500 even on wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats good to hear i'm having the Oomph package can only get the 350 package even though paying for 600 Sky Sports and BT Sports £89 just wondering where they run cable to my house as my drive is tarmac do they run cable underground coming up from where the BT line is ?

Hi the usual thing is the cable comes up from the tee in the pavement through the garden wall then across the garden in a sleeve, if you have a grass or soil area they will shallow dig it in, they will not dig tarmac or remove paving. Regards Micky

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks so how do the run the cable to my house there is no wall or grass the front is all tarmac?