cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surely You Must Be Able To Reboot The 360 Box Using The Remote? Powered Off Now In Reboot Loop!

Poddys
Dialled in

Tonight I tried to pause live tv (BBC 1 channel 101) using the remote and I get a popup with CS2000.

Happens on all other channels so not channel specific and I can see from the community forums here that rebooting the 360 box (a converted V6 box) is the recommended solution.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to reboot using the options on the screen, which is surely a shortcoming as the power switch on the bak of the box isn't that easy to get to and a hard power off isn't usually recommended with any computer equipment.

So powered off using the switch on the back, waited a minute then powered back on, but 5 minutes later the red light is still on the front and the 360 remote doesn't seem to do anything, including turning the tv on.

Used the tv remote to power the tv on and it's showing the "Welcome" screen and this is after 10 minutes.

Now it looks like it's rebooting itself every 2-3 minutes, the screen goes black and then I get the "Welcome" screen back again. Hoping this sorts itself out soon!

Update... after 15 minutes this odd symbol came on the screen, looks like it's downloading something?

IMG_20230222_190042.jpg

After a good 5 minutes it looked like it rebooted again and then the "Welcome" screen appeared like below.

IMG_20230222_190234.jpg

It's since rebooted a couple of times so looks like it's in a loop again. Now 25 minutes in...

Now 35 minutes in and still rebooting, although after the 2nd power off the Welcome screen now shows correctly.

Doesn't look like it's going to fix itself unfortunately. Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Ian,

Thanks for the upodate, pleased tos ee that the tech has swapped your box for a new one.

Since you origianly had two V6 boxes you will be able to record on both boxes, as they will both have hard drives. It's only the mini boxes (half the size of the main box) that don't have hard drives.

You can fine tune the recordings between boxes by clicking on Record, then on the next screen click Advanced Options, then on the next screen click on Choose TV Box, then select the box, then click on Record. That program will then be recorded on that box going forward, even if the default recording box is the other one.

When going to Recordings > Recorded > Recorded you can select each box individually and the interface now lists the percentage used on each box (applies to upgraded V6 boxes as they all have hard drives)

You can't set the same series links to record on both boxes, however you can fine tune series links to record on one box, irrespective of it being your default recording box.

When setting up a new series link go to Advanced and select which box you want the recording to be made on. It will then be recorded on that box going forward. If though you've already got a series link set up for a particular program  and want to change it so it will record on the other box then you need to cancel that series link, and then set it up to record again, using the advanced options when you press record.

It's also good to see that you maanaged to set up your majority Snowdon soundbar again and were able to leave tips for other users  <<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Poddys 

It's possiby lost the internet connection. Have you tried rebooting the hub?

The CS2000 error has only appeared a few times on the 360 forums and it's generally been due to a hard drive error.

With you seeing the  "Welcome" screen it may  also  be connected to a failed update.

A software update was pushed to some TV360 boxes overnight and it's possible this may have been sent to yours and not finished fully.

I would try a factory reset if rebooting the hub doesn't help.

To factory reset go to Settings (the cog at the end of the Home menu) > System > Factory Reset. It's actually misnamed and only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choose Keep Recordings, that means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up. You will have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again. Also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the prompt response Dave.

I have since updated the post and it's now in a reboot loop. It gets to the Welcome screen, then after a couple of minutes it reboots itself again.

I have just tried a cold reboot, turning the power off at the wall to see if that makes any difference, rather than turning the power switch off at the back of the V6 box.

roy247
Community elder

I think you might need a new box.

You won't be able to do a factory reset until the box starts up.

You could try turning the box off with the switch on the back of the box.

Then hold the + and standby buttons together whilst turning the box on with the switch and wait till you see the welcome screen.

This should reset the box and hopefully get it working again.

Hi Roy,

Thank you. I saw Dave had suggested that on another thread and have tried that a couple of times, but no luck.

The last Welcome screen was up for almost 5 minute and I was hopefull, but it's on it's 3rd reboot since.

Going to give it another try, but would you or Dave be able to help me to order a replacement box please through the community?
I could try the VM Support site but it invariably crashes on me.

Appreciate the help.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Poddys 

I see you were on the Ultimate Oomph when you changed from V6 to 360 so should have two 360 boxes (they come as standard on the Ultimate Oomph and Utimate Volt packages).

Have you tried swapping that box round with your other 360 box?  It's a long shot but changing location may force it to update fully and won't break your other box.

I would also check the small white connector cable (cable adaptor) .  It might be loose.

360 adapter.jpg

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Poddys,

We don't work for Virgin, you would need to call 150 to report a fault or wait for a forum team member to respond which may be 2 to 3 days.

When phoning choose the option to report a fault, then ignore all the options offered and you should then be placed into a queue to speak to someone.

Hi Dave,

The 2nd 360 box is configured as a slave and is still working (I checked it half an hour ago).

Will swapping them give a problem in the configuration, or are you suggesting to swap to try and get the update done, then swap back?

I have suspected this box might be faulty for a while, would it be better to try and get it swapped, albeit having to lose a few days of tv?

MEANWHILE...

It's suddenly switched to displaying the download symbol, or that's the best I can describe it. Cable is tight, the box is in a cradle on the wall so not been moved in a year.

Back now to the previous problem - Welcome screen with vertical rainbow bars. Powering the tv off and on fixed that though, odd...

Back to the normal Welcome screen for about 2 minutes, now another reboot.

I'd rather not move the other box unless I have to.

Thanks again.

Tony

Thanks Roy, will call 150.

Fingers crossed.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Poddys wrote:

Hi Dave,

The 2nd 360 box is configured as a slave and is still working (I checked it half an hour ago).

Will swapping them give a problem in the configuration, or are you suggesting to swap to try and get the update done, then swap back?

It won't affect the configuration, I would try and see if the box will complete the update in the second location then swap them back again.

I have suspected this box might be faulty for a while, would it be better to try and get it swapped, albeit having to lose a few days of tv?

It may be just a failed update, but if you do manage to get it working then test the box by pausing live TV for a couple of minutes and then play it back - if keeps pausing or stuttering when doing  that it confirms it's a faulty hard drive and needs swapping

MEANWHILE...

It's suddenly switched to displaying the download symbol, or that's the best I can describe it. Cable is tight, the box is in a cradle on the wall so not been moved in a year.

Back now to the previous problem - Welcome screen with vertical rainbow bars. Powering the tv off and on fixed that though, odd...

The vertical bars can sometimes be due to a faulty or loose HDMI cable

Back to the normal Welcome screen for about 2 minutes, now another reboot.

I'd rather not move the other box unless I have to.

Thanks again.

Tony

Hi again Tony 

Roy suggested, "You could try turning the box off with the switch on the back of the box. Then hold the + and standby buttons together whilst turning the box on with the switch and wait till you see the welcome screen."

I would try it slightly differently, this works for the older V6 which is the same box but running the older Tivo so might work on the 360 (horizon)

Turn off the 360 at switch;  then on the360 box  hold down both the power button and the +button at the same time. ( You might need to be a contortonist to manage this depending how you access the box)

Then turn on the 360 again whilst keeping hold of those buttons for a further 30 seconds. The box should reboot, the power button will turn blue, and fngers crossed it should  reset and boot up normally

EDIT - re swapping boxes, If the one that's currently in the reboot/download loop is the one you use the most then if these extra steps don't work I would keep the secondary box in that main location so you do have a working box where you most need it.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.