cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles

Northwestred
Joining in

How many people have to ask for smaller subtitles without the black box before you take action? They are usually placed annoyingly mid screen, why can't they be at the bottom of the screen just as letters without the box? Please make changes 

4 REPLIES 4

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ofcom has guidelines for subtitles on broadcast services including font, positioning and colours

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/212776/provision-of-tv-access-services-guidelin...

Here's the bit about the colours:

1.16 Pre-recorded and live subtitles: pre-prepared block subtitles are the best approach to providing accurate, easily legible and well-synchronised subtitles and should be used for pre-recorded programmes. Recommended colours are white, yellow, cyan and green against a solid black background as these provide the best contrast. When scrolling subtitles need to be used, any scripted material should be used for advance preparation. In addition to achieving the highest possible levels of accuracy and synchronisation, live subtitles should flow continuously and smoothly.

As do the BBC for their suppliers 

https://bbc.github.io/subtitle-guidelines/#Colours

8.1 Use white on black

Most subtitles are typed in white text on a black background to ensure optimum legibility.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

The Ofcom guidelines have nothing to do with the ridiculously large default, non-configurable size of the 360's subtitles. Of course, there will be viewers who need/want them at that size but give us the choice through system settings like every other TV and streaming service does - even if it's just a basic small/medium/large toggle.

As the OP states, this issue is raised continually on these forums (three times in the last week) , and it's always "passed on" and "fed back" but to whom and where? Have VM acknowledged that the subtitles will be fixed at any point? Or do they think the current solution is adequate?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I do understand that they are larger than in streaming services but there are positioning and size guidelines in the OFCOM guidelines too:

1.15 Presentation: subtitling should use the Tiresias Screenfont for all subtitles. Subtitles on standard definition DTT services should be no less than 20 television lines for the capital ‘V’, to include those lines at the top and bottom of each character containing pixels that are at least 50% illuminated. Although Ofcom does not regulate equipment used to render subtitles in cable and satellite services, Ofcom also recommends that cable and satellite platform providers adhere to the same standards. Broadcasters are encouraged to use antialiasing techniques to help make the appearance of subtitles clearer. Subtitles should be placed within the ‘safe caption area’ of a 14:9 display and should normally occupy the bottom of the screen, except where they would obscure the speaker’s mouth or other vital information or activity. It is particularly important to avoid obscuring the face, as this conveys emotions and tone of voice, as well as being necessary for lip-reading.

The 14:9 safe area does mean there is always going to be a gap off the bottom of a widescreen 16:9 picture - http://www.indefilms.net/html/title_safe_area.html

From what I can remember the subtitles on TiVo/V6 are the same size - the only difference is the font.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Well said  it’s ridiculous situation especially when we could amend them on TiVo boxes