cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles On UHD Missing

daveoc
Up to speed

I've just started to receive UHD for films and entertainment. While I couldn't watch anything previously (just the message saying to subscribe) I could see the description page and from that could see which ones had subtitles and which did not.

Being hard of hearing I rely on subtitles so the first thing I did when I got UHD was to check out the subtitles. I'm dismayed to find that, it would seem, none of the ones indicated as having subtitles in fact have them. I cannot check every single title marked as having subtitles but I suspect it applies to all of them.

I don't understand why they are marked as having subtitles when they have not. It's not as if everything on UHD is marked as being with subtitles as there are many that don't indicate that they have subtitles, so why say they are at all?.

Has anyone found any UHD programme with subtitles?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @daveoc 

I can confirm the onscreen graphic shows that subtitles are available on those movies and programs in UHD.

However upon playing them there was no obvious way to access the subtitles, using the context button on the remote, the coloured remote buttons, by using the voice control and saying subtitles on, or by going into the 360 settings and turning on subtitles via the profiles option.

The only way I could get subtitles on was to watch the HD versions and allow my 360/LG TV to upscale to 2160p

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @daveoc

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues while trying to get subtitles on our UHD programs. We can understand your frustration and we want to best help.

Just to confirm, are you having this occur on all the shows with subtitles available? Does the same occur with normal live TV? You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/accessibility/virgin-tv

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes it would seem to be happening on all UHD programmes that indicate that subtitles are available but they are not when you try to get them up.

As UHD is mainly available 'on demand' the question of live tv does not really come into it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @daveoc 

Please can you post the titles of 3 or 4 programs/movies where subtitles are indicated but absent so other 360 users and Forum Staff can try and replicate this and pass it on to the relevant department so they can work towards a possible solution.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Just picking a few at random, all of these indicate that they have subtitles available on the UHD description screen, but they are not there when you watch the item and try to bring up subtitles:

Peter Rabbit 2

Godzilla v Kong

Chucky the series

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @daveoc 

I can confirm the onscreen graphic shows that subtitles are available on those movies and programs in UHD.

However upon playing them there was no obvious way to access the subtitles, using the context button on the remote, the coloured remote buttons, by using the voice control and saying subtitles on, or by going into the 360 settings and turning on subtitles via the profiles option.

The only way I could get subtitles on was to watch the HD versions and allow my 360/LG TV to upscale to 2160p

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Exactly, and I'm pretty sure this applies to all available items on UHD on demand, anything marked as having subtitles does not have them.

I've recently taken out a new 18 month Volt/O2 contract (I'm past 14 days) and one of the reasons I did so was because I was expecting to not only get UHD but to have subtitles available for a good many of the titles.

It's bad enough Virgin not providing subtitles but it's worst when they promise them but then do not deliver.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @daveoc,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to heart that you're unhappy with the missing subtitles on our UHD channels.

However, the subtitles options are not up to Virgin Media. We do not create contend, we only share it. This means that any subtitle options are available depending on the channel provider. At the moment, all channels with an audience above a certain number must offer subtitles for their programmes according to OFCOM regulations. You can read more about this on our website.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

This is something that happens on Sky Q as well.  Subtitles don't work on any of the UHD content there.  The only place I am aware of subtitles working on UHD content in BBC iPlayer.

Hang on a minute you're completely missing the point here. You, Virgin Media, have chosen to indicate on the information page for these titles that sub titles are available, it's not the content provider that is saying it, it's you. The information page is inaccurate and the least Virgin can do is to amend the information pages to remove mention of sub titles being available.