cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles Help v360

mtennant
Dialled in

I am having trouble with subtitles for some programmes, primarily the new episodes of Blue Bloods and Chicago PD. Most programmes are ok. I have set subtitles on in settings at top of screen. 

when I press the 3 dots for subtitles, it says off (not on) or English. Still does not work. 

I can get subtitles off by using the microphone but it will not put them on.Don’t know how to do that or That’s not possible. 

what can I do to rectify this?  Spent ages on it and as an over 70 year old, I feel life is too short!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mtennant 

It sounds like you've set the 360 box up to automatically show subtitles when available.

Settings (the cog wheel) > Accessibility > Subtitle options > click OK to change to ON > then press the back button (directly above the volume up/down button) to save your choice.

Using the speech button  and built in microphone it should work if you say "subtitles on"  and "subtitles off" -  you might need new batteries if it isn't recognising your voice command.  

It may also sometime say, ".Don’t know how to do that", or "That’s not possible." if there aren't any subtitles available for that particular program.

When you use the three dots (context button) if it's showing  a tick next to Off  then press down on the 360 navigational pad so the cursor goes onto English and press then OK - that turns the subtitles on.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mtennant 

It sounds like you've set the 360 box up to automatically show subtitles when available.

Settings (the cog wheel) > Accessibility > Subtitle options > click OK to change to ON > then press the back button (directly above the volume up/down button) to save your choice.

Using the speech button  and built in microphone it should work if you say "subtitles on"  and "subtitles off" -  you might need new batteries if it isn't recognising your voice command.  

It may also sometime say, ".Don’t know how to do that", or "That’s not possible." if there aren't any subtitles available for that particular program.

When you use the three dots (context button) if it's showing  a tick next to Off  then press down on the 360 navigational pad so the cursor goes onto English and press then OK - that turns the subtitles on.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

roy247
Community elder

Hi,

Just checked Chicago P.D. and subtitles work on Series 10 up to episode 5 but episode 6 they aren't available.

Blue Bloods Series 13 episode 1 not available, last episodes of series 12 seem to be available.

Only going off catch up / search.

Any particular episodes you are having problems with?

These are the episodes I have had problems with on ordinary recordings.Do you normally get subtitles in catch up?

It may be that those 2 episodes have not got subtitles as some one else pointed out. I will keep your tips for when I get stuck again. Thanks

@mtennant wrote:

These are the episodes I have had problems with on ordinary recordings.Do you normally get subtitles in catch up?

If the original transmission had subtitles I assume the program on catch up would have subtitles, but it's not something I look out for as I don't use them.