cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonos Beam Sound dropping out with Virgin 360

sharonamiller
Joining in

My Sonos Beam worked perfectly with the old V6. Since the upgrade to 360 TV the sound repeatedly drops out. This doesn't happen with Digital TV or when listening to music. This is driving us mad! Any ideas how we can solve this problem would be much appreciated.

40 REPLIES 40

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @sharonamiller,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your sound beam since the change from your V6 box to 360.

Are you still having the issues at the moment? I ask this as our response is a bit late, which I apologise for but I'm happy to help now.

Have you tried to change the sound settings within the box settings? Have you tried to consult sonos to see if they have any advice that they could offer?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven

I have tried removing Dolby from the box but without success as this made no difference. I did contact Sonos but they only told me that Sonos runs on 2.4ghz but Virgin tells me the Superhub 4 has both 2.4 and 5 so I'm assuming the Sonos will connect to the correct one. 

This is very frustrating as we had no problems for 2 years until Virgin updated the modem. 

Any other ideas we could try will be much appreciated.

Sharon

Thank you for your response @sharonamiller.

Sorry to hear the problem persists. Have you tried splitting the WIFI bands as seen here to see if it helps https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-changing-your-hubs-wireless-channel.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Harrodinio
On our wavelength

I have had exactly the same problem. My Sonos Beam and two Ones worked perfectly until I 'upgradef' to 360. Now randomly, the sound just cuts out and the only way to get it back is to switch the TV off and on again. Some times it will go an hour before cutting off, other times just a few seconds. I've added the Sonos Boost and also removed a WiFi extender, thinking the problem could be interference but the system never missed a beat before the upgrade. It's very frustrating. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Harrodinio,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same issue as the original poster!

Have you been able to read through the thread and followed the instructions that my colleague advised? Have you tried Splitting Your WiFi Bands to see if this can help resolve your issue?

Please give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I don't have a computer that can be wired via the ethernet. I'm due to receive the new Hub 5 next week so I'll await that before doing any further tampering. 

However, everything worked fine before the V6 box upgrade so I'm at a loss as to why this fault has suddenly reared its head. 

Online chat with customer services revolved around switch it off and back on again which proved utterly fruitless. 

If it comes to it, I'll have to downgrade back to a V6 box as the 360 is unwatchable at the minute. 

Hi Harrodinio

i never did sort the problem out. I’m not very techie and was worried I’d make it worse. I had previously contacted Sonos who talked about splitting the wifi but it all sounded a tad complicated. Mine only cuts out for a few seconds, when I get a message saying that it’s using TV speakers, then the Sonos kicks back in with a message ‘Audio system active.’ I have got around the problem but setting the TV volume at an average level so at least I don’t get the annoying silence anymore. So annoying though! Also, my Nest thermostat started going offline randomly after installing the 360. 

Thanks for your input... It's starting to drive me mad now. Been onto Sonos customer services. I spent £100 on adding the Sonos Boost to the system. No difference. Charged the hdmi cables. No difference. Disconnected my Deco mesh system. No difference. Virgin say it can't be their system as it's state-of-the-art. So no one really has any answers. I'll try the Hub 5. Hopefully that will solve it. Failing that, Virgin will send an engineer to fit an old V6 box as the 360 can't be downgraded. Think anyone with a Sonos system contemplating 'upgrading' to 360 should probably wait to see if a solution is forthcoming otherwise you'll end up with an expensive sound system that you can't use... 

Hi Harrodinio, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your sound speaker looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you however I can't guarantee that I can resolve it as I don't know if it's a 3rd party device issue or ours. 

Can I ask how your speaker is connected to the TV? 

If you disconnect it from the Virgin 360 and plug it into another device (DVD Player, console etc) does the issue still happen? 

Thanks,

Megan_L