cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky sports on SD with oomph bundle with HD Sky sports added

Newhammer
On our wavelength

We have the oomph bundle with sky sports hd added. 
The quality of the picture in sky sports live is poor. The sky logo in top right of screen says sky sports but not hd. Is this normal for VM or do I need something switched on by VM?

I don’t feel I am getting what I am paying for as BT sport live is brilliant. 

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Newhammer 

None of the Sky Sports HD channels display the HD dog.

If you look at the Sky Sports channels in the EPG  however then the channel name should display HD.

Only the Ultimate Oomph and Ultimate Volt packages carry Sky Sports in HD.

On all other packages you need to pay an extra £7 per month to add the HD version.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks newapollo 

hd on all sky sports in EPG as you say. Yet I would expect to be able to read the number on the back of a footballer’s shirt in hd when the screen is about a third of the pitch distance. I can on BT transmission on VM but not on Sky sports. Is it me or VM?Sky sports hd looks like being viewed through a net curtain. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Newhammer,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

Can I ask what Sky channel number you were using?

Thanks,

Kain

Newhammer
On our wavelength

We are using 502 503 etc

The sky sports quality is far inferior to that of BT

Check the Sky Sports HD thread in this forum. As you will see, many contributors are receiving poor picture quality on their Sky Sports HD channels.

Hi @Newhammer, thanks for your post although I'm sorry that the Sky Sports picture seems lesser than that of BT.

I'd recommend viewing previous posts relating to this issue, as some customers have got help on this thread, particularly when changing their video output settings on their boxes so I'd advise trying this too.

I've ran checks on the line and there aren't any signal issues affecting your boxes, but please keep us posted if you need any further support.

Many thanks

Tom_W

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

This is a very common problem, I thought you were actually trying another way of bringing the subject to the fore.

One person tweaked there settings and got better results. 

The rest of us with normal through to very high end TVs still pay for sky HD and recieve a out of focus or like you mention viewed through a net curtain vision.

What changes is this on.... all sky sports chanels, depends which sport is being shown. Foot ball is bad. Golf is ok until the ball stutters across the greens. It dreadful but they cant replicate it. Apparently they have not taught there guide dogs to compare sky sports with any other channel showing football etc.

You will get nowhere posting on here. Option is suffer or leave

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @TouchingCloth

Thanks for posting on our community forum

Do you experience issues across any other HD channels?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It's only sky sports chanels, and it's a comparison with the same sports shown on BBC, ITV, BT, Eurosport, etc. The Sky version is always very poor quality in comparison to the other channels. Football in particular is very poor on most occasions, even when it's good, it still lags behind other channels.

The focus is soft, the pitches look smudged. Often a milky haze to everything.  Movement artifacts everywhere. All points to highly compressed source with low bitrate transmission. 

Sports such as darts, snooker etc can appear better as there is not a lot happening on the screen. 

It's a real issue.