cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky sports channel 502 sd

pots1968
Tuning in

Hi

has anyone noticed a major drop off in quality of the sky sports premier league channel in SD ( channel 502) - all other sky sports channels in SD have a watchable quality but 502 is badly pixelated.

this seems to have become an issue since I renegotiated my deal…..

the channel was really good before but now is almost unwatchable.

poor service really.

23 REPLIES 23

Hi pots1968,

Did you check the other channels listed by japitts in message 12 to see if it's a signal level problem that can be adjusted if all those channels are affected.

Hi Wise Owl

i did and they all appear ok and not as bad as 502.

thanks

@japitts wrote:

VM simply broadcast the channel content they receive - there is no incentive on them to degrade the quality of the feed.

That's not true though is it. Virgin Media receive the channel in a direct feed from Sky at somewhat higher quality than they pass on, they then multiplex it and encrypt it, and from the list you gave earlier, it is multiplexed with a mixture of channels from channel 5 and UKTV, none of which would be received from Sky, so that can only be done by Virgin Media, and by its nature reduce the bitrate from that received. That process shouldn't cause the errors mentioned earlier, but if it isn't a signal issue, then it can't be ruled out.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Richardr1 wrote:

@japitts wrote:

VM simply broadcast the channel content they receive - there is no incentive on them to degrade the quality of the feed.

That's not true though is it. Virgin Media receive the channel in a direct feed from Sky at somewhat higher quality than they pass on, they then multiplex it and encrypt it, and from the list you gave earlier, it is multiplexed with a mixture of channels from channel 5 and UKTV, none of which would be received from Sky, so that can only be done by Virgin Media, and by its nature reduce the bitrate from that received. That process shouldn't cause the errors mentioned earlier, but if it isn't a signal issue, then it can't be ruled out.

VM receives all the Sky HD/UHD channels via fibre. All the SD channel feeds are taken from the Astra satellite cluster through professional satellite equipment as they always have done. The average Bitrate on Sky Sports SD is 2.5Mbps, which is actually better than all the others carried on mux C077, so PQ should be as good as if not better than the others

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks