cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports in SD!!

keiron12
Tuning in

Recently started a Virgin TV account and am astounded that they try to charge £8 extra for Sky Sports in SD. I didn’t even think to look at this, just assumed the ‘Sky Sports bundle’ would be in HD at least. Is it me or is it absolutely ridiculous that Hd does not come as standard in 2022 why Sky have been broadcasting in HD for 15 years. 

10 REPLIES 10

SirAGFC
On our wavelength

The worst thing is that it’s only 1080p, 4k isn’t even an option.

ozsat
Superstar

It is Sky who still insist on this charge for Sports HD - always has been

@keiron12 wrote:

Recently started a Virgin TV account and am astounded that they try to charge £8 extra for Sky Sports in SD. I didn’t even think to look at this, just assumed the ‘Sky Sports bundle’ would be in HD at least. Is it me or is it absolutely ridiculous that Hd does not come as standard in 2022 why Sky have been broadcasting in HD for 15 years. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Do you have a source for this?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keiron12 wrote:

Without recourse to the wholesale agreement between Sky & Virgin Media, which will be confidential, there is no official source.

But I can vouch for @ozsat 's advice being correct. For further evidence of this, look at how many (if not all) Sky entertainment channels are bundled. The SD versions are often in lower packages, but HD is usually in Maxit/top-tier only.

As for assuming HD-Sports, all of VM's advertising is very carefully phrased on this point.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Has always been the case on both Virgin and still for Sky direct customers too. Still shows on my Sky bill as an extra charge for Sports HD on top of Sky Sports.

@keiron12 wrote:

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Unless there's been a price rise it's £7pm for the upgrade to Sky Sports HD.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

From a quick look at Sky Q's base package if you add Sky Sports it is in HD, looks like they don't offer SD to new customer's and it's £20 a month for the extra 8 channels.

£7.80, there has been a price increase. 

@roy247 wrote:

From a quick look at Sky Q's base package if you add Sky Sports it is in HD, looks like they don't offer SD to new customer's and it's £20 a month for the extra 8 channels.

That must of been a quick look, because if you had taken your time you would have found further down the page the UHD + HD  and HD only add on's. 

Screenshot_20220623-204440_Chrome.jpg