cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports UHD anytime soon?

Koolmacher
Dialled in
  • It's now 3 years since the press statement claiming a deal has been struck with Sky for the provision of movies and sport in 4k uhd. Cinema 4k came in 2021 on virginmedia but when are we getting Sky Sport in 4k uhd?

My contract is up in September and a return to Sky is looking very tempting at the minute. 

331 REPLIES 331

@EesaC wrote:

Does Sky Sports Main Event UHD look washed out for anyone else too?

The picture is sharper but the colours are all faded, even the menu of the 360 box is faded when this channel is selected.. Using a Samsung KS7500 SUHD TV - I don't know if it's a picture or HDR setting that needs to be changed

I have the same issue on a Samsung Q80T, which, according to the specs, does support HLG.  The virgin box menus all look grey and washed out when in the sky sports uhd channels only, very odd. Not really sure if I’m supposed to change a setting somewhere or something. I’ve never noticed this issue on any other 4k channels or content before. If anyone else has/had this and/or has managed to resolve it, please let me know! Cheers 

Hi all.

I’m also having the same issue with Sky Sports Ultra HD. I have a Blaupunkt 4K tele (not the greatest I know but has no issues with BT Sport Ultimate etc).

When watching Sky Sports Ultra HD the picture is dull/darker. Video output is set to 2060p. Played about with the HDMI settings also. So I feel like this may be an issue at Virgin’s end.

Any help appreciated. 

Re: washed out colours. Notice how when you rewind or fast forward the channel, a split second has the colours return to normal before being washed out again. 

Did they think you meant milk? 🙂

@elpho3nix wrote:

@EesaC wrote:

Does Sky Sports Main Event UHD look washed out for anyone else too?

The picture is sharper but the colours are all faded, even the menu of the 360 box is faded when this channel is selected.. Using a Samsung KS7500 SUHD TV - I don't know if it's a picture or HDR setting that needs to be changed

I have the same issue on a Samsung Q80T, which, according to the specs, does support HLG.  The virgin box menus all look grey and washed out when in the sky sports uhd channels only, very odd. Not really sure if I’m supposed to change a setting somewhere or something. I’ve never noticed this issue on any other 4k channels or content before. If anyone else has/had this and/or has managed to resolve it, please let me know! Cheers 

A couple of things to check, as it sounds as if your TV is using the wrong colour space, similar to an older TV.

1. Does the HDR indicator flash up when you change to the channel (I haven't got a Samsung, but it does on a compatible LG for example).
  2. Similarly does the TVs info button show the colour space being used - you want it to be either BT.2020 or DCI-P3 (again I don't know if the Samsung shows this, the info button on an LG does)
  3. In the TVs settings, general settings, external device manager, select HDMI UHD colour and make sure HDR is set for the HDMI connexion you use
  4. There is usually a colour space setting in advance settings - see if selecting custom and one of the above colour spaces works. In theory auto or native should pick the right one, but worth seeing if selecting it manually works.

One other thing to look at. On your TV have a look at the iPlayer on the TV and look at Blue Planet II. On a compatible TV that will be HLG HDR (the iplayer will tell you if it is) - and manufacturers are more likely to have these things set up correctly for the internal apps. Then have a look at it through the iPlayer on the Virgin Media box - does it look the same with the same indications on the TV? Is one or both still washed out?

It may be worth having a look at https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-07-hdr-uhd-television-picture-quality-settings-guide 

I tested this out of curiosity. 

Tv app plays in hdr 360 app sdr

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jamesredfern wrote:

I tested this out of curiosity. 

Tv app plays in hdr 360 app sdr

Hi James,

Are you talking about iPlayer and Blue Planet 2?

The app plays it back in HDR HLG on both my LGTV and on my 360

Blue Planet 2 on 360Blue Planet 2 on 360Blue Planet 2 on LGTVBlue Planet 2 on LGTV

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yep. The 360 iplayer app doesn't play back in hdr. Not bothered, though, as everything else does and very well. 

jimboy56
Dialled in

Not seen this advertised by VM, I wouldn’t have known about it unless from here

Silly isn't it. It's a big thing and something we've all been waiting for.

I only discovered by chance whilst flicking through the guide. Immediately Googled it and ended up on this thread.

7 extra a month its costing me now.

The picture makes HD look like sd. Main event HD is woeful and I hope virgin do not reduce the bitrate of uhd because so far its been great for live football! Can't wait for the f1 assuming it's shown on one of the channels.