cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports UHD anytime soon?

Koolmacher
Dialled in
  • It's now 3 years since the press statement claiming a deal has been struck with Sky for the provision of movies and sport in 4k uhd. Cinema 4k came in 2021 on virginmedia but when are we getting Sky Sport in 4k uhd?

My contract is up in September and a return to Sky is looking very tempting at the minute. 

331 REPLIES 331

@tmleafs wrote:

Anyone with an LG having issues with the TV detecting HLG HDR

I can only get it to work with the hidden HDR menu but that would require remembering to try it off too

Have also checked some UHD content on iPlayer again doesn't auto-detect either 

V6 > Onkyo TX-NR656 > Hue Sync Box > LG OLED55BX6LB

EDIT: its my Onkyo AVR it doesn't support HLG so either upgrade or directly connect the V6 to the TV and get ARC working 🙄 

Haha so you are having the opposite problem from me. 

You want HDR to activate, and it doesn't.

I don't want HDR to activate, and it does. 

Why don't you want it to activate?
For most TVs you can turn off HDR for each HDMI input on LGs its called "HDMI Ultra HD deep colour" this will stop it from working for Netflix and other apps on the V6/360 box

@tmleafs wrote:

Anyone with an LG having issues with the TV detecting HLG HDR

I can only get it to work with the hidden HDR menu but that would require remembering to try it off too

Have also checked some UHD content on iPlayer again doesn't auto-detect either 

V6 > Onkyo TX-NR656 > Hue Sync Box > LG OLED55BX6LB

EDIT: its my Onkyo AVR it doesn't support HLG so either upgrade or directly connect the V6 to the TV and get ARC working 🙄 

I can recommend the Marantz NR1711 whose six HDMI inputs support HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision,HLG, 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, 21:9 video, BT.2020 pass-through and current HDCP 2.3 copy-protection standard. Furthermore its half-height fits neatly between the shelves of my HiFi stand.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Crazy that any decent AVR is now £600 pounds 
The Onkyo I've had for 6 years only cost £350 from richersounds has Atmos and supports HDR10 and DV the only features it's missing are HLG HDR and HDR10+ which I'm sure could be added by a firmware update. Will have to try the ARC route never had much luck with it there are always issues.

Unfortunately the HLG HDR standards were only ratified in 2016.

I have no issues with my V6 box (and other sources) plugged into the TV with the sound going to my amp from the TV, albeit via eARC rather than ARC which I suspect your amp of that era has.

@tmleafs wrote:

Crazy that any decent AVR is now £600 pounds 
The Onkyo I've had for 6 years only cost £350 from richersounds has Atmos and supports HDR10 and DV the only features it's missing are HLG HDR and HDR10+ which I'm sure could be added by a firmware update. Will have to try the ARC route never had much luck with it there are always issues.

Your need HDMI 2.1a for HLG and static HDR, and you won't get this HDMI version upgrade for your AVR. And if you want dynamic HDR (like Dolby Vision and HDR10+) and eARC you need HDMI 2.1. The sad fact is that if you want something close to future proofing you need to spend a lot.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

mark_84
On our wavelength

Was you out of contract to get this price? Did you call in or use WhatsApp? 

I used live chat and got offered £74 for similar but slower broadband and no Netflix UHD. I’m in contact at the moment until July.

JamesyJam
On our wavelength

Been on their live chat the last two hours enquiring about sports uhd, the first person it would cost an extra 10 a month, when I queried this they transferred me to someone else who took over an hour to respond, the next agents aid I could have sky sports HD for an extra 7 a month, I said do you mean UHD? his response was I already have uhd and should check my package. My god its so frustrating!!!

He's just replied again saying they don't even have sports uhd yet. What is going on at this company?! 

mogbad
Tuning in

Went on live chat 3 days ago and had Sky Sports UHD added to my current in contract package for £7 per month. All told it took about 10 minutes and the UHD channels were enabled before I'd finished the chat.

@JamesyJam wrote:

Been on their live chat the last two hours enquiring about sports uhd, the first person it would cost an extra 10 a month, when I queried this they transferred me to someone else who took over an hour to respond, the next agents aid I could have sky sports HD for an extra 7 a month, I said do you mean UHD? his response was I already have uhd and should check my package. My god its so frustrating!!!

He's just replied again saying they don't even have sports uhd yet. What is going on at this company?! 

If you speak to them I found calling it Ultra HD rather than UHD reduced confusion.