cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports UHD anytime soon?

Koolmacher
Dialled in
  • It's now 3 years since the press statement claiming a deal has been struck with Sky for the provision of movies and sport in 4k uhd. Cinema 4k came in 2021 on virginmedia but when are we getting Sky Sport in 4k uhd?

My contract is up in September and a return to Sky is looking very tempting at the minute. 

331 REPLIES 331

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally, I see it as a non-issue, as most TVs capable of displaying UHD are good at ‘creating’ UHD from an HD broadcast.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My 55" Philips OLED805 is pretty good at upscaling to 2160p as you would expect for a modern TV, but what surprises me is that the V6 is good at upscaling as well. I really didn't expect this as TV boxes are not exactly well known for this kind of thing.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

No TV in existence can upscale HD satellite/cable to a level anywhere near UHD.

Honestly... 

As the old phrase goes "you can't polish a **bleep**"  

The HD picture from sky isn't the best to start with - even though when viewed on skys equipment is good. No tv will be able to upscale a poor hd picture to uhd. 

Whilst the HD picture on Sky Sports is good, it nowhere near as the 4K HDR picture that Sky offer. I would love to gain it whilst I’m back with Virgin, but I cannot see Sky giving it away.

A whole press release was issued on it so don’t get the confidentiality bit. VM said it would arrive in a specific timeframe and it didn’t. Brushing it under the carpet because it’s fell through or technical issues isn’t the best way to go about it. 

nuzikdude
On our wavelength

One thing I've learnt about being with Virgin is that they are useless. Less than useless avoid them like the plague. 

Can't do anything right, they don't reply with anything other than check press release news area which is pointless and useless. As if you check everyday for the last 3 years you'd never leave the page.

There really is no need to have virgin now, and don't get me started on their merger with o2 and how crap o2 signals is.

My advice go with sky, get a gigabyte connection  elsewhere and use Vodafone sim, all less than virgin and you'd get everything you need

Davy_D
Tuning in

Have to say I'm really disappointed with the picture quality of Sky Sports on Virgin. I switched last year after over 15 years with Sky and I regret it. I am planning on switching back when my contract is up if UHD has not arrived by then. Sky Sports HD on virgin is like watching in SD. No other HD channel is so poor. 

@Davy_D wrote:

Have to say I'm really disappointed with the picture quality of Sky Sports on Virgin. I switched last year after over 15 years with Sky and I regret it. I am planning on switching back when my contract is up if UHD has not arrived by then. Sky Sports HD on virgin is like watching in SD. No other HD channel is so poor. 

Agreed. The picture quality of Sky Sports HD is far superior on Skys own equipment. Maybe its an inferior feed being supplied to VM. But definitely night and day. 

But the community experts and virgin apologists told us earlier that the upscaling was pretty much the same as UHD... 🤡