cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports SD vs HD

dar2008
Tuning in

I've nearly made the decision to come over to Virgin Media for TV (from Sky), but want to validate whether I should include HD for Sky Sports @ £7 extra a month, or whether the SD signal for Sky Sports is good enough.

My V360 box would be connected to a 65inch Samsung TV. Is Sky Sports in SD 'good enough' viewing quality or would I suffer blurred / pixelated images in comparison to HD?

Just interested in others experiences, thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
What i would like to know is why Sky charge £7 a month for HD when all the rest do not charge anything and BT give UHD for free as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What i would like to know is why Sky charge £7 a month for HD when all the rest do not charge anything and BT give UHD for free as well.

Because they can.

dar2008
Tuning in

To answer my own question, now that I’ve switched to Virgin,…

SD for Sky Sports is more than sufficient, even on my 65inch Samsung TV. Whilst the quality is not quite as high as HD, it’s certainly good enough and doesn’t warrant paying a further £84 a year to watch the same content.

Overall, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the Virgin V360 platform. So far, it’s been every bit as good as my old Sky Q, and even better in some aspects, such as Netflix and Prime being on channel numbers rather than having to traverse menus to get to them.

Hi dar2008, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. The SD is of a good quality and there would be no blurring/ pixelating and if you decide you want to get a sharper picture then you can move to the HD service but this is entirely up to you. - Chris