cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports SD vs HD

dar2008
Tuning in

I've nearly made the decision to come over to Virgin Media for TV (from Sky), but want to validate whether I should include HD for Sky Sports @ £7 extra a month, or whether the SD signal for Sky Sports is good enough.

My V360 box would be connected to a 65inch Samsung TV. Is Sky Sports in SD 'good enough' viewing quality or would I suffer blurred / pixelated images in comparison to HD?

Just interested in others experiences, thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

deans6571
Wise owl

@dar2008 wrote:

I've nearly made the decision to come over to Virgin Media for TV (from Sky), but want to validate whether I should include HD for Sky Sports @ £7 extra a month, or whether the SD signal for Sky Sports is good enough.

My V360 box would be connected to a 65inch Samsung TV. Is Sky Sports in SD 'good enough' viewing quality or would I suffer blurred / pixelated images in comparison to HD?

Just interested in others experiences, thanks in advance.

I would say to stick with Sky!

Sky Sports HD is good quality wise, however, if you come over to Virgin, you wont get Sky Sports UHD like you do with Sky. You do get BT Sports UHD though....

Thanks for the reply. I don't currently have UHD through Sky, only HD, which is good enough. My contract with Sky is at an end, and they're struggling to give me a 'good' deal to remain with them, hence considering the move to Virgin (who already supply by BB).

I'm thinking perhaps I'll start off with SD for Sky Sports on Virgin, and if I can't make out which player has the ball, I'll upgrade it to HD.

At least games shown on BT Sport channels will be in UHD on Virgin, so not all bad.

ellispickering
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi,

I can see you are interested in joining us at virgin media. i will send you a private message to discuss this further.

Thanks Ellis.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You shouldn't get pixellation, that would be a fault.

But SD pictures on a 65inch screen are never going to look great. In the context of the price you likely paid for the TV etc, £7/month for the HD add-on is - IMO - a small price.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@dar2008 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don't currently have UHD through Sky, only HD, which is good enough. My contract with Sky is at an end, and they're struggling to give me a 'good' deal to remain with them, hence considering the move to Virgin (who already supply by BB).

I'm thinking perhaps I'll start off with SD for Sky Sports on Virgin, and if I can't make out which player has the ball, I'll upgrade it to HD.

At least games shown on BT Sport channels will be in UHD on Virgin, so not all bad.

I know you already have broadband but can't you get the ultimate oomph bundle for £89 a month as a new TV customer.

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

So I work for Virgin Media, but this is my personal opinion...I wouldn't want to watch SS SD on a 65" TV, especially now we have UHD Football on BT Sport which is included in Maxit TV, and on iPlayer during the summer tournaments.  

Like Roy says, if you find yourself considering the extra £7 for HD, maybe look at the price of Ultimate Oomph, which includes it as standard, plus a second 360 box, plus an unlimited SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sky do the best TV.  BT now do most reliable full fibre Broadband.  EE is best mobile provider.

All 3 do UK support.

You might get value with all of it under one roof but it's all compromises and coupled with Indian call centres.

I certainly would never recommend TV 360 - stick with Sky.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All of those points are subjective, though. The best individual provider depends on your specific requirements & circumstances.

It is often easier/cheaper to have services bundled, but if a particular provider isn't the best for you on one product - then you need to pay yer money and take yer choice.

I do agree that having UK-based C/S is worth a small premium. Although C/S is as much to do with the process & policies behind, as much as the location of the agent.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree.  Life long VM'er can't wait to switch away; the awful 360, current pricing and their CS over the pandemic has seen me wanting to switch.

I helped my sister out with a call to BT on her behalf. 

Was nice to know I was talking to a man a couple of miles away who understood my accent and me his!

_____Back on topic.

Stay with Sky until at least VM get their hardware and TV service sorted out.  Lots of bugs and quirks.  Some due to the "newness" of the platform but I cannot recommend it nor could I recommend SD on a 65 inch.  Needs HD at least.