cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Sports HD

kashiup
Superfast

Hi 

sky sports HD picture is absolutely abysmal. We actually pay a lot for this and the picture is like standard definition and it wasn’t like this before. Who’s to blame? Sky or Virgin please can this be sorted. 

61 REPLIES 61

Shuffler
Tuning in

Hi ,’on my new 4k oled tv Sky Sports HD football is terrible quality. It is barely above SD . BT sports is perfect and BT Sport ultimate is breathtaking. Anyone else find this problem?

Terrible quality on Sky Sports football tonight again . Yet BT sport is perfect???

Come on Virgin media! Why has this not been sorted, its been 5 months since the first post and the way it's going the football season will be over.

Many people on here are seeing the same issue and there are several possible solutions that may fix it, if you look back through the thread.

Hi @Royalbeech

Sorry this issue is still ongoing for you all. 

Sky has begun broadcasting some sports in a new format called HDR (High Dynamic Range). Sky has come out and said that this has caused some issues to viewers when watching in this new format. 

Please can you try and test those that are able to change your TV settings to switch off HDR and see if that has improved the image. You can also make sure your video output is set to both 2160p and 1080p. Those with 360 set boxes will automictically upscale when needed. Let me know if this helps at all

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Sorry but my TV is 4k UHD, but not HDR ready as it is to old.

By the way, HDR has nothing to do with the picture quality issues we are seeing, issue is with low band width as it pixelates and shudder etc as if we are streaming over a poor broadband connection.

Also HDR is only for 4k UHD and as virgin media customers we don't get Skysports in UHD? So you need to go back to you sorce and tell them that the information they gave you is a load of rubbish...

Thanks for the feed back anyway. 

There is no way to switch off HDR on my Sony OLED and I wouldn't wish to if I could. However, I did go into the settings for my TV and in particular external inputs and the HDMI signal for my connected Virgin 360 box. I changed the signal from enhanced to standard. Hey Presto! The picture quality for the Hearts v Celtic game is brilliant. So perhaps people who are having issues with the Sky Sports HD channels may consider looking at their TV settings for the HDMI connection to the Virgin box.

Hi Rufus57, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back and post and update. 

We're glad to hear that changing those settings have helped to improve the quality. 

Please keep us posted if this stays the case for future games. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

Fulham v Huddersfield today is so bad. Looks out of focus . 

Please, please please get this **bleep** sorted

jpwp3802
Joining in

This is absolutely disgraceful we all pay top money for virgin services yet  sky sports hd looks washed out and fuzzy watching city v spurs hope they draw or spurs win anyway picture looks awful yet anything on bt sports looks amazing come on virgin get it sorted or let us all leave with no penalty charges as it is you not providing us even uhd sports is still a no go sick of hearing we are looking into it we will update soon if you want to be with the big boys act like the big boys ofcom needs everyone with these problems to let them know so virgin gets told sort it or loose it  

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jpwp3802,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're facing issues with your picture.

Can I ask what setting your video output is on?

To do so you need to;

- Press the Home button

- Help & Settings 

- Settings

- Finally select Video Output

There it should advise what resolution your TV is set to.

Thanks,

Kain