cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade V6 to TV360?

SWPT
Tuning in

I've currently got two V6 boxes and am trying to decide whether to pay the £25 for the 360 upgrade.

I've done a bit of forum scanning and have read about some of the negatives compared to my current V6 platform but was wondering if someone could point me towards a decent summary of the main benefits of upgrading and give me a balanced opinion on whether it's worth going for it?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some of the more obvious pros - the V360 has voice control, recording profiles & a more modern interface. There is better integration with the "TV Go" app allowing you to save programmes on your mobile device, and pick them up on your 360. You have the ability to pause a programme on one box, and resume it on another.

Some of the more obvious cons - recording & series-link functionality is decidely simpler, and SL's are currently single-channel only. There isn't currently an ability to manage series links, and you can only set SL's for programmes that are in the next 14days EPG - the V6 lets you do the same from any VoD or "Search & Explore" entry. There is no undelete function if you accidentally delete a recording.

(I use a V6 so am not 100% on this one but....) I believe the ability to toggle between recording tuners using the "info" button has been lost.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some of the more obvious pros - the V360 has voice control, recording profiles & a more modern interface. There is better integration with the "TV Go" app allowing you to save programmes on your mobile device, and pick them up on your 360. You have the ability to pause a programme on one box, and resume it on another.

Some of the more obvious cons - recording & series-link functionality is decidely simpler, and SL's are currently single-channel only. There isn't currently an ability to manage series links, and you can only set SL's for programmes that are in the next 14days EPG - the V6 lets you do the same from any VoD or "Search & Explore" entry. There is no undelete function if you accidentally delete a recording.

(I use a V6 so am not 100% on this one but....) I believe the ability to toggle between recording tuners using the "info" button has been lost.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I agree with the summary by @japitts 

I can confirm japitt's suspicions that the ability to toggle between recording tuners using the "info" button has been lost.

I have the 360 and find it as good as the V6, albeit I didn't use all the bells and whistles on the V6 and as such don't miss them not currently being available on the 360. TIVO do hold copyrights on some of the functions available on the V6, however I'm sure given time most of these can be replicated with extra coding on the 360 which is based on Horizon software.

My 2*360boxes were originally V6 with the software update applied to them and I find the picture is sharper on the 360 even though the hardware hasn't changed. It's good that you keep the recording facilities on both V6's if you go for the software upgrade, because if you went for a box swap instead then you would receive 1*360 box and a mini 360 which doesn't have the hard drive.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the new interface and voice options, but now I most things automatically and wouldn't want to swap back to the V6. However everybody has their opinion and a good number would disagree with myself.

Not all of the apps on the V6 are included on the 360, although the You Tube kids app has been added today, and a member of the Forum Team last week advised that the All4 would be added soon.

The current list of apps on the 360 is:-  Al Jazeera, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, CNN, , Deutsche Welle, France 24, ITV Hub, My5, Netflix, Prime Video, Radio Line, STV Player, TV Upgrades, VEVO, VM Store, WSJ, You Tube and You Tube Kids.

The https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 page explains a lot about how to operate the 360, along with some of the differences compared to the V6.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

SWPT
Tuning in

Thanks both.

That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

madacj
On our wavelength

I ask this every once in a while but are we any closer to the 360 update becoming mandatory?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@madacj wrote:

I ask this every once in a while but are we any closer to the 360 update becoming mandatory?

It was in the context of VM's TiVo licence, but there's been a quote from VM staff to the effect of "we will see V6 users for some time to come"

I suspect we will move from "voluntary" to "encouraged" in the medium/long-term once the software is more developed.

Liberty Global last signed an agreement with TiVo in 2017. If this was for five years I'm expecting that LG/VM will want to complete the migration from the TiVo platform by 2022.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

deans6571
Wise owl

@SWPT wrote:

I've currently got two V6 boxes and am trying to decide whether to pay the £25 for the 360 upgrade.

I've done a bit of forum scanning and have read about some of the negatives compared to my current V6 platform but was wondering if someone could point me towards a decent summary of the main benefits of upgrading and give me a balanced opinion on whether it's worth going for it?

Cheers

...have a watch of this also:

https://youtu.be/VCxRyplIJ6g

👍🏼

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Liberty Global last signed an agreement with TiVo in 2017. If this was for five years I'm expecting that LG/VM will want to complete the migration from the TiVo platform by 2022.

Post 14 in this thread answers this point as well as anything.