cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting DNS

ourmailbox
Tuning in

Is there anyway to set the IP details (in particular DNS addresses) on the 360?

I'm using SH3 in Modem mode, my own router and openDNS (all ethernet cable connected), but things like playback of recordings, and Netflix seem to only work sporadically unless I use VMs DNS servers.

As far as I can see, the 360 doesn't have the standard network options of DHCP or Fixed network settings.

I don't really want to leave VMs DNS addresses for all devices off my router.

I've only had the 360 for five days, and I don't think I would recommend anybody "upgrading" to it just yet.  Yes the concept is different, but so many basic bits seem missing, or not working.

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ourmailbox wrote:

Is there anyway to set the IP details (in particular DNS addresses) on the 360?

Short answer - no. And you shouldn't need to.

In terms of how I'm reading your problem, I've a mixture of thoughts. I too use my SH in modem mode as do many others do on here, and many "issues" with this are often caused by blocked ports on the router. Unfortunately, as far as an official VM answer would go, you'd probably be advised to use the VM-hub, and as a diagnostic exercise that will certainly serve to prove whether the issue is on the STB-side or the router.

Many of the V6's back-end functions rely on using a VM-broadband connection, and I've no reason to believe the 360 is any different. So tweaking away from VM's DNS has some potential for causing issues - although I've never tried this in order to test the theory.

And yes, the 360 is indeed "different" to TiVo/V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I'm quite happy for the 360 to use VMs DNS servers, but don't want to have to set my router LAN DHCP to issue them, meaning everything else on my network has to use them.

Temporarily doing this, does fix the problems I was having.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Oh I see. You want to set the DNS at device-level (in other words, in the 360) rather than doing it at router level.

Unfortunately, the answer remains the same! It's not something that the vast majority of users would have cause to do, in fairness.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I suppose not, although of course the V6 did allow it 

I just never needed to set it.😀

WoahWoahUser
Up to speed

@ourmailbox wrote:

I'm using SH3 in Modem mode, my own router and openDNS (all ethernet cable connected), but things like playback of recordings, and Netflix seem to only work sporadically unless I use VMs DNS servers.

I use my own router and google DNS on my Virgin Broadband connection and i’ve had zero problems with streaming service including Netflix. You might want to try a different DNS service and see if it makes any difference. 

VM swapped the box out Wednesday, following more playback and streaming issues, and, so far, everything is working as expected, even with openDNS servers.  So maybe, they were a red herring.