cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set 360 remote to infrared

dave_jee
Tuning in

HI all,

Does anyone know how to set the 360 remote infrared only, rather than the default bluetooth ?

The reason for this is, I am using a Harmony remote, and have done, with a V6, for years.

Most of the buttons work using the Ziggo Mediabox Next device, but buttons like "previous channel" don't have any response, so I would like to "teach" the Harmony the buttons by pointing the original remote at it, but it's stuck in bluetooth/not infrared.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can't.

It's RF only between the 360 remote and the box. It will only do IR for TV Control.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thanks for the info. Pretty poor decision from Virgin Media.

So is this the case even before pairing it to the box ? I am pretty certain that is a yes, but just checking.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe there is a specific IR command the remote sends to tell the box it needs to pair. It's why you need to make sure you're in line of sight of box during setup.

In regards to why it works that way, I'd expect it's down to the voice commands which can't work over IR. So you either have a fully working paired remote or you don't, and no need for it to be able to do IR for some of the box control.

The IR commands that do work I think will come from previous versions of the Horizon platform which is what the Virgin TV 360 runs on, in the same way the the V6 IR commands are mostly from  the V / V HD / V+ HD days!

Thanks.

In your experience, is "Ziggo Mediabox Next" the closest match for Harmony, or is Horizon, that you mentioned, a choice ? To be fair, 99% of the buttons work with "Ziggo Mediabox Next", prev channel is of the 1%

Also, do you know how to unpair the remote, with a box factory reset.. so I can see if any compatible codes are sent via IR, at that point.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pressing and holding the TV and Rewind buttons for 10 seconds will factory reset the TV 360 remote.

You could also try removing the batteries for a few minutes and then put them back in.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks.

I tried that "TV" + "rewind <<" button when I rang 150 but it didnt seem to do anything, over than power off the TV. 

I'll try the battery reset.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are wanting to perform a full box factory reset beware.

To perform the reset go to Settings > System > Factory Reset.

You are given 2 options
Keep Recordings
Format Disk

If you choose Keep Recordings it's only a partial system reset  -  choosing that option you won't lose your recordings or any links you've set up (but will have to sign into apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITV Hub again)  BUT that won't factory reset your remote.

If you choose the Format Disk option that will as the name suggests wipe the hard drive so you will lose all recordings and series links, and all other options you may have set up. You will also have to sign into all apps again, and set up the internet connection too.

I haven't done a full factory reset of my box but if it asks for a verification code then it's 847446 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dave_jee wrote:

Thanks.

I tried that "TV" + "rewind <<" button when I rang 150 but it didnt seem to do anything, over than power off the TV. 

I'll try the battery reset.

Although that will reset the remote, it may not trigger the IR pairing code

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-pairing-tv-remote